News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

BUCKEYE PARK CLEANUP AND SIGN DEDICATION

Started by iwasthere, May 08, 2010, 01:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

I can haul the mulch and will call Chris today. I'll load it on my trailer and from that it would be easy to shovel out.

john r. swierz

They are wide enough, they just need large branches and fallen trees cut up. Also there is trash and such in there. Thanks anyway.

Youngstownshrimp

Councilman Swierz,  are the trails wide enough for a backhoe and does the park need top soil, slag or hauling?  I won't be available Saturday, but I can sneak away on Friday.

Youngstownshrimp

Rick,

You may have the use of my five yard dump truck if you like or, I can pick up the mulch and deliver. 

DefendYoungstown

Rick,

Your generous offer was discussed tonight at the 7th Ward Citizens Coalition board meeting in which the board expressed great appreciation for your outreach and support with the project. When discussing the logistical needs for the project, however, one issue that remains unresolved is the need for the use of a truck to assist with transport of 3 yards of mulch (which will be used for the sign installation area on Saturday morning). The city has provided the mulch but it would need to be picked up sometime on Friday morning and no one with a truck is available at that time. Is it at all a possibility that you would be available/able/willing to help? If not, it's totally understandable but the board was curious as they have no other option at present. If this is a possibility, the point of contact is Chris Travers (330) 720-1876. Thanks, regardless, Rick. See you Saturday.

iwasthere

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on May 09, 2010, 09:49:17 PM
OK I'm in. I'll bring the truck and trailer loaded with all the equipment and tools that I have.  Be there at 10 am to start prepping the fence for paint.

I can put a coat of green on the entire fence along both streets in about an hour with the airless sprayer.  No guarantees on how long it will last as the galvanized has not had a chance to oxidize and provide a surface that will accept paint.  If it were me I would delay painting the fence until later in the year, usually six months of weathering is needed to get a surface that will hold paint. 

I have weed and grass killer which might be good to spray on the bases, pitchers mound and the outfield fence, since the fence has quite a bit of poison ivy growing on it, so be careful.   The whole field also needs mowed, any chance the parks dept. could get out there and mow it before Saturday, or is that up to us to do? 

Lets hope the weather is better than the past couple of Saturdays have been.
the 7th ward coaliation and 7th wards's blockwatches would like to thank you.

iwasthere

Quote from: Why?Town on May 08, 2010, 04:27:12 PM
I would much rather clean up and paint a park than waste a day with a bunch of drunks, stumbling from bar to bar while yelling obscenities across the street at each other, which is exactly what I saw while driving up South Ave. with my family during last year's shuffle.
whytown you just insulted some of us on this forum,  because several of us have done both of these events. :o ;D

Rick Rowlands

OK I'm in. I'll bring the truck and trailer loaded with all the equipment and tools that I have.  Be there at 10 am to start prepping the fence for paint.

I can put a coat of green on the entire fence along both streets in about an hour with the airless sprayer.  No guarantees on how long it will last as the galvanized has not had a chance to oxidize and provide a surface that will accept paint.  If it were me I would delay painting the fence until later in the year, usually six months of weathering is needed to get a surface that will hold paint. 

I have weed and grass killer which might be good to spray on the bases, pitchers mound and the outfield fence, since the fence has quite a bit of poison ivy growing on it, so be careful.   The whole field also needs mowed, any chance the parks dept. could get out there and mow it before Saturday, or is that up to us to do? 

Lets hope the weather is better than the past couple of Saturdays have been.

john r. swierz

They istalled new fence and it needs painted green.  The woods is 8 acres and has a nice walking path. It needs cleaned and the trails need widened and there is trash in there. It is a nice peaceful wooded area in the inner city.

Rick Rowlands

john r. swierz

It is called Buckeye Park  because up until the late 1980's there was playgroung equipment there. The city could not pay for the  insurance so they  removed all the equipment

Rick Rowlands

I'm not too familiar with Buckeye Park.  I looked at the aerials and it looks like Buckeye Park is a baseball diamond and some woods on Loveland Road.  Is that right?

What work needs to be done?  What is being painted?

DefendYoungstown

Katie and I will be attending the clean up. I'll put this out on Defend Youngstown on Monday as well.

Why?Town

I would much rather clean up and paint a park than waste a day with a bunch of drunks, stumbling from bar to bar while yelling obscenities across the street at each other, which is exactly what I saw while driving up South Ave. with my family during last year's shuffle.

jay

Does this mean your group will not be participating in the South Avenue Shuffle?