News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Another Protest

Started by jay, July 04, 2008, 06:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I surely can agree with Margaret Meade on that. Just look at the effect that a small number of people have had on environmental issues.

My question rests with the fact that thousands of articles have been written and a countless number of Congressional hearings have been held regarding the issue, but the price of gas keeps going up.

One Congresswoman has suggested that the petroleum industry be nationalized so that Congress can set the price of gas at the pump during a recent Congressional hearing. This idea will go nowhere, but it does demonstrate the fact that Big Oil coupled with speculators are the ones driving up the prices, and until they are reigned in, we will have to be at their mercy.

jay

The protest will not change much at this time.

The purpose of a protest is to let others know that someone is willing to step forward to call attention to the issue and hopefully others will be mobilized to help in some way.

Remember this quote from Margaret Meade
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Towntalk

What good does protesting at local gas stations do, as they don't control the cost of gasoline? They are as much a victim of this gas emergency as we are. How much do they earn on a gallon of gas that they sell? As I understand it, they earn pennies on the dollar, and their main income comes from the non gas items that they sell.

Likewise, they have hefty fees that they have to pay the credit card companies each month for all the gas they sell.

What I wish is that one of the talk shows would have a good conversation with some of the area service station owners and managers to find out just how the price they have to charge for gas is determined?

By the way, I recently read an article that said that big oil companies are the ones who set the prices, and the local service stations are at their mercy.

This leaves the question, how is protesting at individual gas stations going to help the situation?

Oldmill

I sure wish I had the time to go to  a protest rally . Now really folks if you want to protest , go to THE NEW YORK MERCANTILE EXCHANGE and start intimidating the speculators driving the prices up or should we go to the federal reserve and harass them for printing dollars out of thin air making them almost worthless or .........  I don't think going to the local shell station will do much good

jay

The protest is at the station on Mahoning Avenue in Austintown.

ytowner

Jay you can stop posting these. It seems as if you are trying to promote these useless events. Folks you have one life to live, do not waste an hour of it beating a dead horse.

You can do more by sending an email or mailing a letter to our Congressmen Tim Ryan and telling him you support drilling for more oil in America, something the Democratic Congress is prohibiting this nation from doing during this oil crisis!

Why?Town

I think there's more than one Shell station in Austintown. There's one on Raccoon Rd. and (I think one) on Mahoning.

I don't think a protest at a gas station will make any difference. Might make some people feel better though.

jay

Another Protest About The High Cost Of Gasoline
Wednesday, July 9, 5:00 p.m.
Shell Station in Austintown