News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown Citywide Cleanup - Saturday, May 31

Started by jay, May 18, 2008, 08:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Elmo-Ytown

Sorry y'all, I'll admit I wasn't there, my brother was getting married (excuses excuses, I know) I also missed Jones Fest :( How did it go?

jay

I heard a commercial at least ten times on one local radio station the week before the City Wide Clean Up.  The publicity was out there.

Defend Youngstown

Try over 400 (rsvp's alone as of this morning) for StreetScape this Sat. This being the case, I don't believe apathy is to blame, however, I'm also not certain Street Scape is a good comparison.

I believe many people are attracted to StreetScape because they feel that 1.) an contribution is being made that has a somewhat lasting visual impact for the remainder of the year in a highly visable, growing, common gathering area of the city vs. a clean up which some residents might consider to be a little more futile (PLEASE NOTE: that is not an endorsement of that position, however, just an example of why you might see more people interested in planting vs. picking up trash based on previous experience). I, for one, will always be engaged and will encourage participation in both as each are important components of a much larger formula for city revitilization.

With that said, there is no reason you could not get 400+ people for the clean up, however, I feel that a stronger emphasis on marketing and communication would greatly help as the event, itself, is well organized. This alone encourges participants to return to volunteer their time the next go around (much like Street Scape). We need to get folks there first, though.  Understanding the budget is limited, I would recomendation taking out a full-page ad in the vindicator, making an appearance on 21 morning show, taking out radio space on 570 (maybe this was done), and using the blogs. Being that this event is conducted more than once a year, perhaps a blog/website can be formed for this event alone where all information can be obtain and people can sign up rsvp (track progress), sign up for email updates, donate $$$ through Pay Pal, etc. It works wonders for what I'm trying to do with downtown promotion and Defend Youngstown. Just a thought.

PK

Mary_Krupa

I was there representing the 7th Ward Citizens Coalition and the Snoop Block Watch. Even though my back hurts!!!!! :'(   , I still can pick up trash.

We had one other person from our block watch. I did not see anyone else from the 7WCC. A 7th Ward-wide telephone notification went out during the week.  There was one person from the Lansingville Block Watch and one person from the Buckeye Eyes and Ears Block Watch. Councilman John R. Swierz was there picking up trash.

Why are people so apathetic?  I have shopping to do, housework to do, yard work to do and other social obligations, too, yet I made it.

Maybe the new neighborhood coordinators can help with getting people involved. It is critical at this point that we make the extra effort to clean up our city.

I bet next Saturday's Streetscapes will have at least 150 people.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

northside lurker

I couldn't participate at all because of other plans.  But, I received mixed messages about where to go to participate.  Originally, the Garden District neighborhood block watch was going to meet at our usual meeting place--the old fire station at the corner of Mahoning and Eleanor.  But, then I received a call to meet at the Chevy Center.  So, maybe individual neighborhoods just stayed in their own area, and didn't show up at the Chevy Center?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

A few dozen citizens came to the City Wide Clean Up today.  In the photo below, the six young ladies in the left front are Girl Scouts from the Akron area.   

Where are all the citizens of Youngstown???
Is the high cost of gasoline hurting volunteerism or are our residents just apathetic?

jay

Some groups are organizing to clean a specific area.  Others are just cleaning in their own neighborhood. 

Last year the day started with refreshments and a speech by the mayor.  Trash bags, gloves, and Tshirts were given to the volunteers.

I hope you and everyone on the Forum helps during the Youngstown Citywide Cleanup.

Elmo-Ytown

Will there be specific areas that they want you to concentrate on, or can I just meet up, grab some bags, and go clean my street?

jay

Youngstown Citywide Cleanup
Neighborhood Trash And Litter Removal

Saturday, May 31
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Meet At The Chevy Centre At 8:30 a.m.
Trash Bags Will Be Distributed
Then Go Out And Cleanup Youngstown