News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Euclid and Rush Neighborhoods Want More Trees

Started by jay, September 22, 2007, 06:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tm

I'm happy to report that we are having a fantastic response to our tree replanting project!  Many residents agreed to having a tree planted in their tree lawns, and others have donated money  or offered to tend trees planted on the Boulevard island. 

This year the focus will be on the tree lawns (also called devil strips) of the first block of Euclid Boulevard.  Next, the donations received will go toward planting the first Boulevard island of Euclid.  We will eventually replant all of the missing trees on Euclid and Rush (south of Midlothian).

The Boulevard Park Neighborhood Association thanks Treez Please and the Parks and Recreation Department for their help in beautifying our neighborhood.           

If anyone would like to make a tax deductible contribution to this project, mail to Treez Please P.O. Box 2292, Youngstown 44504.
Please specify that you would like your donation to go to the Boulevard Park Replanting Project.  Thank you!     

northside lurker

Quote from: ForumManager on September 22, 2007, 11:17:28 PM
Can the downtown trees be moved there?
I think this is a great idea, if it can be done at all.  As Towntalk said, an expert would need to be involved.
Quote from: Towntalk on September 22, 2007, 11:54:29 PM
The utility companies play havoc with the trees, and they end up looking quite ugly. They do not trim them properly and simply hack away at them.
You can say that again.  Many of the streets in my neighborhood were once beautiful, and tree-lined.  But the utility companies hacked them up.  Some have died, but many just look bad. (i.e. pine trees with the upper third cut off, trees with a definite "C" or "J" shape, etc.)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

There could be some very good reason why trees have been removed. I know that we had to sacrifice two wonderful Pine trees because the roots were coming through the foundation of our house. I sure miss those trees [1] because of their shade value and [2] because they gave us some privacy from passersby.

If the trees downtown have to go, it would be a great idea to have an expert carefully remove them to a location where they would be appreciated and well cared for. Too many people fail to properly care for their tree. It can be costly, but well worth the price.

The utility companies play havoc with the trees, and they end up looking quite ugly. They do not trim them properly and simply hack away at them.

ForumManager

yfdgricker

Many of the trees still standing along the tree lawns on those streets are Buckeyes. I have a large old buckeye tree in my front yard I wouldn't recommend parking your car under it right now :)

jay

A group of residents from the Euclid Boulevard and Rush Boulevard recently met with Treez Please in an attempt to acquire trees to plant along both streets.  The silver maples lining the streets were planted years ago and time has taken its toll on these neighborhood assets.  Some trees have been damaged by wind storms while others had been removed over the years.

Tree selection is the next step.  It has been decided that a mix of tree species would work the best.  Three types of trees will be used in the new plantings.  It is hoped that trees 6-8 feet tall can be purchased and planted by next spring.  Tall hardwoods will be planted on the tree lawn on both sides of Euclid and Rush.  The medians will be planted with a variety of shorter trees.  Most of the residents of the neighborhood want to restore the visual appeal of a tree-lined street.

Below is a picture of Euclid Boulevard looking south from Midlothian.  Notice that many trees are missing from the tree lawns.