News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

OSP helps with Youngstown’s SIP efforts

Started by yfdgricker, February 15, 2007, 04:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

connie254

I was driving to work last night around 6:20 on the overpass on South Ave over 680.  I saw 6 OSP cars with lights on, 1 without and the car in front of all this had all doors and trunk open.  They were in the lane to access the onramp for N680.  Anyone hear what occurred?

jay

This was the scene on South Avenue yesterday.

Mary

I agree with you totally micky. I was very hopful for this no tolerence but not so much now.

Micky

Even though the OSP assistance is greatly appreciated, we don't feel it was a great success.  Today, there were OSP cars in just about every other parking lot along Midlothian Blvd and South Ave.  Saw a lot of elderly people pulled over - they looked scared and sick to their stomachs.  The money from traffic court may be pouring in for the city. 

We thought that OSP would free up more officers so that they could concentrate their efforts on the dangerous criminals and felony offenders.  Knowing that there are hot spots in the city, why couldn't there be continuous patrols during the night hours in those places?  This may have been just a ruse to calm the fears of people.  Where does the investigation of the quadruple murders lie?  We haven't been told anything, such as, they have an idea of who did it.  Was the federal gang unit called in for their expertise and assistance?

We felt so positive about zero tolerance when it was announced but have some doubts now.

yfdgricker

Results Of Police Blitz In Youngstown
Story from the WYTV Channel 33 Web Site on 2/26/2007.

It's been nine days since the Ohio State Highway Patrol teamed up with Youngstown and began their traffic blitz on U.S. and state routes in the city limits.  Today we have some results of their efforts in our continuing coverage.

Everywhere you look on Market street today, the state highway patrol had someone either stopped on the side of the road or another cruiser is driving by, about to stop someone else. Chris Heverly of the Canfield Post of the Ohio State Patrol says the blitz has been a success.  "It's going very well we are continuing to focus our life step program, which curbs fatal accidents."  Said Heverly.  And since the blitz to curb fatal accidents in the city began just over a week ago, the patrol says they have stopped 1,144 cars, wrote 476 traffic citations, 312 seat belt violations, 25 aggressive drivers were cited, 54 were caught for driving under suspension. There were two DUI arrests and five felony arrests.  Of the felonies, most were caught with drugs. The blitz will come to an end later this month.  For folks who walk these streets each day, like Heather McCrory of Youngstown, they have come to appreciate the extra police presence and hope it can continue.  "Yeah I feel safer, I have a three year old and Ii like to let him go outside and play without the shooting and violence and stuff around..  I feel a lot safer about that."  Said McCrory.  Meanwhile, Youngstown Mayor Jay William's says the city's special patrols will continue and they are already working on extending their partnership with the Ohio State Patrol.

Shar

We drove out Market Street from downtown to Boardman last night around 6:30 and I counted 8 State Highway Patrol cars between downtown and Midlothian.  A couple of them had people pulled over. 

yfdgricker

I wonder if that means OSP will be doing more patrols on I-680.

yfdgricker

Working to curb urban fatalities
Story from the Youngstown Vindicator on February 15th, 2007 4:24 pm.

YOUNGSTOWN — The Ohio State Highway Patrol has allocated several troopers to patrol within the city limits with a goal of reducing urban fatalities, said Mayor Jay Williams.

The goal, he said, is consistent with the city's proactive efforts to help create a safer community. Troopers will focus on U.S. and state routes within the city. This will allow city officers to focus more sharply on the residential neighborhoods and businesses within the city.

The joint effort will last until early March and serve as a trial period to evaluate the collaboration, the mayor said. He expects future joint efforts will occur this year.

yfdgricker

OSP helps with Youngstown's SIP efforts
Story from the Youngstown Vindicator on February 15th, 2007 3:25 pm.

YOUNGSTOWN — An unusually large number of Ohio State Patrol cruisers patrolled city streets today.

Officials at the OSP's Canfield post said the OSP officers were in town to help with Youngstown Mayor Jay Williams' zero-tolerance effort to fight crime, now dubbed Special Interdiction Patrol, or SIP. Part of that effort is extra strict enforcement of all traffic codes.