News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Road Resurfacing

Started by jay, July 10, 2006, 10:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leah

So, maybe it's the old ones that last and the newer ones that end up in pieces?

AllanY2525

Leah,

There are STILL sidewalk segments in the city that even pre-date the (W)ork (P)rogram of (A)merica
stamps you saw on the sidewalk in your neighborhood.  Some of the oldest sidewalk pieces in
the city are not even made of concrete - they are made of solid flag stone.

:)

Leah

Allan, you're right about the sidewalks.

The ones on the west side are pretty bad too.  I would like to take my kids on more walks around the neighborhood, but it gets pretty hard to push a stroller in parts.  There is actually a section of sidewalk nearby that says "WPA" and gives a date that I can't remember, but it's circa 1930!  Does that mean that peice of sidewalks haven't been replaced since 1930?  Sad thing is, that particular section seemed to be in better shape than a lot of them.

AllanY2525

Yeah, the street grinding machine showed up in front of my apartment
building on Bryson street this morning.  The sad thing, though, is that
they are NOT going to fix the broken curbs and sidewalks.  The curb
in front of my building and across the street at the parking lot behind
the temple is crumbling badly and has huge chunks missing from it.

I'll probably end up replacing the curbs and sidewalks at the building
out of my own pocket - most likely next spring.

northside lurker

My mom, who visits often, was very impressed with how much the area seemed to improve when they resurfaced Mahoning Ave.  Even if it's just a psychological effect, I hope they can continue to resurface roads throughout the city
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Many streets on the west side are getting a new coat of asphalt.  This is a section of Kirk Road in front of Kirkmere School.