News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

St Brendan's Festival

Started by Melbon, April 14, 2006, 06:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbon

Whatever you say.

Also, I would just like to say that I made this board only to ask if anyone knew if there was going to be a festival this year, not to discuss past festivals or anything like that.

Leah

Melbon,

Sorry you're offended by my comments.  But, I call things as I see them.  Of course the comments I made are not true of every single teenager on the West Side, but they are true of quite a few.  It wasn't that long ago that I was a teenager.  Maybe you'll see things differently when you're older.

Melbon

Okay, thanks everyone. I guess no ones really sure yet. I hope they will have one since I've been going since I was born and I would really miss it.

By the way, Leah, I am a teenaged girl on the west side and I don't appreciate you saying that I "start wearing skimpy clothes and parade around to attract the attention of the loser boys hanging around on Mahoning Avenue" when it gets warm out. I'm not like that, and you shouldn't assume that none of the "young punks" you talk about read this and would be offended. Not to say that i consider myself to be a "young punk" but nevertheless.

Leah

That's because there are too many young punks roaming around the West Side.  Their parents either don't know what they're doing or don't care.  As soon as the weather gets warm, the girls start wearing skimpy clothes and parading around to attract the attention of the loser boys hanging around on every corner of Mahoning Avenue. 

These kids need something to do.  If they want to play sports they can do it through the school.  But what if these kids aren't the athletic type?  I would love to open a community center that's focused on the arts on the West Side.  Kids could go there and do something productive with their time.  They could make music, art, theater.  Whatever.  I know that my days at the Youngstown Playhouse are what kept me from getting into trouble when I was in high school.  But I also had family members willing to drive me to and from rehearsals 5-7 nights a week.  These kids might not have that.  If there was a place they could go, in walking distance, this might help.

It might not reach all the kids, but even if it got one kid to do something productive instead of causing trouble, it's worth it.

Kind of off the topic...sorry, I started to ramble.

Jonny daghti

I can say I wont attend the festival any longer I went 2 years ago and was very intimidated by the youth . I heard snide remarks about my race (I am caucasion) there were fights , I saw very limited police protection. It used to be a very plesant experience , not in the last few years.

ForumManager

Good Question.  probably so.  but not sure
The church is still open even though the school is closed.

Melbon

Hi, I was just wondering, does anyone know yet if they are have a festival at St. Brendans this year?

Thanks.