News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Guerrilla Mowers

Started by jay, July 17, 2011, 06:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: jay on July 21, 2011, 06:32:04 AM
I also don't see much sense in cutting the entire vacant lot.  If it were up to me, I feel the city should only cut the tree lawn and an area ten feet back from the sidewalk.  The remainer of the vacant property should be allowed to go back to nature.  If neighbors want to cut more, they should do it.

The 10 foot setback from the sidewalk idea is a good one, IMO.  It would also help solve the "meadow" issue that some north siders are having.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

I also don't see much sense in cutting the entire vacant lot.  If it were up to me, I feel the city should only cut the tree lawn and an area ten feet back from the sidewalk.  The remainer of the vacant property should be allowed to go back to nature.  If neighbors want to cut more, they should do it.

AllanY2525

Quote from: Pro Window Maintenance on July 19, 2011, 11:14:56 AM
if the city cuts the grass a fee is added to the property taxes. They are not doing it for free.

Many of these properties are already tax-delinquent and [ for all practical purposes ] have no owners to go after for the money... which
brings things right back where they started - sure, the city is technically "not doing it for free" but if they city is not getting reimbursed
for their expenses, they are simply draining their coffers even further - and by the sheer NUMBERS - they do not have enough
staff and equipment to keep up.

It's a matter of simple numbers and economics... the city cannot afford it and does not have the manpower and equipment to do it
all.

iwasthere

i would be a perfect lawnmower but the city does not allow such animals in the city let alone chickens. i bet that would go over well in hubbard, oh.

sfc_oliver

I cut the front yard of the abandoned house next door to me and the Mayor (lives across the street ) makes sure the trim gets done. The family broke up and abandoned the place over a year ago and the bank has done nothing other than change the locks. I would go into the back yard and mow it,  but I'm just not certain what I might run over back there.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Pro Window Maintenance

Quote from: AllanY2525 on July 18, 2011, 02:14:24 PM
It is not the responsibility of the city to cut the grass at every abandoned property in the city... this is the job of
the property owner.

To expect the city to keep pace with the number of abandoned, overgrown lots is not a realistic expectation.  If
they were to triple the number of employees and equipment, it would still be insufficient to keep up with the work.

if the city cuts the grass a fee is added to the property taxes. They are not doing it for free.

AllanY2525

TownTalk - I think you're onto something there...

LOL

:D

Towntalk

;D The perfect lawn mower  ;D

northside lurker

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

It is not the responsibility of the city to cut the grass at every abandoned property in the city... this is the job of
the property owner.

To expect the city to keep pace with the number of abandoned, overgrown lots is not a realistic expectation.  If
they were to triple the number of employees and equipment, it would still be insufficient to keep up with the work.

northside lurker

If there is an empty house near me, I'll cut its grass.

The city only has the manpower/resources to address an individual property 2 or 3 times a summer.  So, when they do get to a house, it looks like the yard was covered with hay, anyway.
--Thomas Edison

jay

The guerrilla mowers were active this weekend on the west side of Youngstown.  Several yards at abondoned homes were cut. 
I guess people are really getting fed up with the pace of the city's grass cutting program.