News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Lincoln, Rayen, Wood Urban Renewal Plan

Started by jay, March 17, 2006, 06:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shar

The Hood Electric building is in good shape.  I have never seen any trash outside and I know that Mr. Grenga uses it for storage.  I drive past that building 4 times a day.  I don't agree that he should lose a perfectly good building unless he gets a fair price for it.

AllanY2525

I partly agree and partly disagree with Rick's statement.

If you own a piece of property, it is yours to do with what you will - EXCEPT when it
causes someone else problems.  Ie: if a property is not maintained and falls into disrepair,
has trash and junk laying around outside in plain sight of the public, etc - it becomes a blight
to the neighborhood and affects the property values of everyone around it.    In this case,
I think the rights of the neighborhood begin to weigh against the rights of the individual property owner.

As for eminent domain, I agree with earlier statements that Rick has made wherein the
property owner should be justly and fairly compensated for their land (along with any
improvements to it) IF and WHEN the government takes their land for public development.

I do NOT advocate the government taking someone's property and NOT compensating
the owner for it.

If Youngstown and the Univeristy can work out an EQUITABLE compromise with the
"Lincoln, Rayen, Wood Urban Renewal Plan" then I support it whole-heartedly.  If
the current property owners in the proposed development area can work out an
equitable compromise with the city/university, then everyone will benefit from the
development plan.

Rick Rowlands

It doesn't matter what the owner of the property does with it.  It belongs to that person and if you want it offer enough money to make it wirth his while to sell.  If not then go around.  Its so simple. 

Its not yours and you should not be able to take it because you think your use for the land is more important than anothers use for the land.

I like how the city says that talking about eminent domain is "premature".  All that means is that they are not ready to take the property yet but they will do so in the future.

Mark my words, Mr. Grenga is going to lose his building to eminent domain.  Its a complete certainty.

jay

A story about the plan to extend Hazel Street is on the front page of the Sunday, April 2, 2006, newspaper.

AllanY2525

I agree that the proposed project is a good idea.  In the case of the ower of
the former Hood Electric building, maybe the city could offer incentives to
this property owner to move his storage facility to another building in the
greater downtown area - such as helping with the move, tax incentives, etc.

I think the benefits of the proposed project FAR outweigh the negative
impact it will have on those few who live in and/or own properties in the
project area.

With regard to the apartment building in the photo - there is NO lack of
housing in Youngstown.  Suitable housing could be found for elsewhere for
those living in the apartment building - something nearby - and the city could
assist the residents in relocating to another apartment as part of a compromise
should the building be slated for demolition as a part of this project.

Please read the message I posted  in the "North Side" section about
the "Right of Eminent Domain".

Allan
:)

jay

This apartment building located on N. Phelps Street would probably be removed if the urban renewal plan moves forward.  The site would be one of the properties needed for the construction of a new YSU business school.

Nate

I agree that the city should have a dialouge with property/business owners in the proposed area, however, I do not understand why there is so much negativity concerning the project.

I am a student as YSU, and I do think that the proposed urban renewal area should be improved. It would connect YSU to downtown, and provide a much needed new business college building (amonst other things).

I don't see why the city would kick out a tennant of a building/business just because they want the land, however I do feel that property owners need to maintain their properties. If the city thinks a building is abandoned because it is so delapidated, then the property owner needs to fix their property. And, if the property owner doesn't, the city should have the right or some mean to evict the tenant.

jay

The urban renewal plan for the Lincoln, Rayen, and Wood Street area was not well received at the public hearing held at the Chevrolet Centre on Thursday.  Property owners were concerned about which buildings were going to be removed for the creation on a new, two block long Hazel Street.  The new street would extend northward from Wood Street to Lincoln Avenue.  The owner of the former Hood Electric building was amazed to learn that his building was described as vacant solely because it looked abandoned, according to the property surveyors.  Actually,  the building is used to store machinery and does not have much daytime activity.