News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Mahoning River

Started by Youngstownshrimp, August 06, 2010, 12:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the passage quoted in my previous post antagonistic or offensive ? http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8649.msg27995#msg27995

YES
3 (25%)
NO
9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Youngstownshrimp

Part of the adventure of kayaking is to paddle when water affords it and carrying your kayak when water is not navigable.  This is why many newer kayaks are light weight and shorter.  Remember the old outdoor movies of canoe treks, they operated the same way, the pioneers adopted the Indian bark canoes to carry over land when need, but they kept focus on the destination.  This can be true with the Mahoning river, my nephew has researched aerial maps zooming in on the unnavigable portions of the river with the plan of overland travel as we move down river.

Towntalk

Would the removal of what is left of Baldwin's Dam help increase the flow of the river? As it is, it serves no purpose.

I took a trip back to my home town and enjoyed the river which is wider and deeper than the Mahoning. It's the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. The town has several spots along the river where there are park benches.

jay

I'm basing my response on my recollection from the canoe trip.

North of the Baldwin Dam there is a shallow area near West Avenue.

South of the Baldwin Dam there is another shallow area between the Market Street Bridge and the South Avenue Bridge.

Towntalk

Using Spring Commons as a starting point how far up and how far doen the river could boats go?

Lets say that a boat was launched just below Baldwin Dam or what's left of it, how far down the river could it go, and lets say that another boat was launched above Baldwin Dam, how far up the river could it go?

jay

Canoe City used to rent canoes on the Mahoning River in Leavittsburg.  Because of a small dam, one could travel the impounded water from Leavittsburg to Newton Falls.  I'm not sure if the business is still operating.

Youngstownshrimp

My bet would be on a "Mahoning River Kayak Assn." to generate interest and defray any significant start up cost.  Once activity is noticed demand may follow.  A cottage industry may be born with nautical supplies being offered let's say by a small store in the B&O station, better yet, used fishing gear, canoes,kayaks,bait, snacks and liquids.  Wallmart cannot compete with flea market poles, tackle, etc.  Savvy entrepreneurs may learn the best way to navigate the river as it is and offer guide services to navigate down to Struthers, Lowellville or even to PA.

Enterprise start ups are successful when the innovator does not jump into debt but rather grows the business with its own water.  If an assn. is set up it can pool its members smaller investments and create critical mass right away.  If we wait for local government to lead the charge, they will first set up a bloated non profit, wait for stimulus grant money, ask for the river to be dredged and end up the same place we are in now, dying.  This is how commerce works, like minded people see a need and an opportunity and pool together to limit the risk.  Not to mention busting your ass.  The MVOC should be doing this and create real production instead of waiting for Uncle Sam to print money.

Rick Rowlands

What that data means is that the government says there is water flowing down the Mahoning river!

I don't want to rent out pleasure boats, I want to operate boat tours on the river!   

Towntalk

I don't know what all that data means, but wouldn't it be great of someone couldn't revive the Mahoning Pleasure Boat Company and rent out boats on the river?

jay

Rick Rowlands

Yes, it is so good of Jay to come up with that good idea!  I sure wish I had thought of that!

Towntalk

That dam near Anthony's On The River is what's left of the old Baldwin Flour Mill Dam.

I would love to see pictures of the river especially where Mill Creek flows into the Mahoning.

As for boats in the river, here's a picture of a boat that chugged up and down the river.

Jay hit on a good idea about tours up and down the river.

jay

As I remember, it would be a little difficult using a small boat on the section of the river that you mentioned.  There are several shallow spots and the remnants of a small dam near Anthony's On The River.  Your passage would also depend on the amount of water flowing on the day of your trip.  It would be easier to travel down stream an any given day.

Rick Rowlands

I am quite envious Ron.  I have wanted to do that for a long time!  Is the river only navigable by Kayak or could a small boat or pontoon boat make the trip between the Ohio Works dam and YS&T Campbell Works dam?

Could you imagine an entrepreneur doing river tours on that section of the Mahoning? 

Youngstownshrimp

Jay, I did not take any pictures, but I should have.  Yes, you get the wilderness scene on the river.  What I liked with nature, you also get the iron bridges, large cut stone foundations, arched tunnels and I even noticed a stone wall hand built on the edge of the river.  This is unique and it kind of reminded me a little about that history channel series "100 days after people".  Come to think of it, if the history channel invested in generating computer enhancements, Youngstown has it in real time on the river, someone should call the history channel.

jay

Years ago I took a few canoe trips on the Mahoning River through downtown Youngstown.  Most of the time you couldn't see any of the nearby buildings.  It was almost as though you were traveling on a river in a wilderness area.   I know I took a few photographs at that time but have not been able to locate them.  Did you take any pictures?