News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Still Another Question For John

Started by Towntalk, July 20, 2010, 01:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

John:

Just received an article from the 2/6/1910 Vindicator about the race track. When first built it was a half mile track that was located on what was then the Gibson farm in 1860. Chauncey Andrews and William Hitchcock later bought the track making it a mile long track. Also involved with the track were the Tod brothers.

Apparently it was Mr. Gibson who built the original half mile track in 1860, and later sold it to Andrews and Hitchcock.

The track had a grandstand and interestingly concession stands underneath where folks could purchase refreshments, especially beer.

Towntalk

This, and a program from one of the racing days are all I have. I'm waiting for more info from the library.

john r. swierz

If you have a picturial I would be interested if you can post it

Towntalk

Thanks John. In the time frame - 1870-90's there was a race track just off Poland Avenue in that area.

john r. swierz

That sounds more like Gibson Heights . The center of that is Homestead Park, which is on Homestead and E. Dewey Ave (which goes to Poland Ave.)

Towntalk

In an 1897 copy map that I just got there is a Gibsonville listed that is south of the river and along Poland Avenue extending south.Is this an old name for today's Lansingville? It seems to be in the same area.