News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Speed Control Device

Started by jay, May 07, 2010, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our2cents

Quote from: john r. swierz on May 09, 2010, 07:16:25 PM

The traffic device that was on S.Schenley only tells the driver the speed that they are currently going. It was purchased in the late 1990's by YPD
and it is not a camera. The camera's are coming.

I figured it was just a reader.  I'm torn on the subject of the speed ticket cams.  I wouldn't mind them in known deadly intersections, Oakwood and N Hazelwood comes to mind, where there are always people speeding and running the light.  But, I am against a private corporation having any responsibility for reviewing and writing citations.  It is an officer's responsibility to write such a citation.  And if it means the city hiring an officer to do this, then I have no problem with this system as then there is public accountability for any citations that may be written by that officer.  The public corporations are out to make money.  I know officers in Cleveland that think the cams are a joke there as they've been posted in areas that are only for the purpose of making money that the police department never sees. 

Rick Rowlands

Yep I would like to see that too.  I don't drive vehicles that have license plates. :-)

stewie

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on May 09, 2010, 01:14:11 PM
Its a harpoon that shoots out of a box chained to a telephone pole along the side of the road.  When a vehicle is detected traveling 21.5 MPH in a 20 MPH speed zone, the harpoon launches, grabs the rear of the vehicle and brings it down to 20 MPH.  I have heard that they are having some problems with the harpoon retrieval system, currently the speed control device usually rips a big hole in the rear of the offending vehicle when harpoon retrieval is activated.

Vehicles traveling at the absolute reckless speed of 22.5 MPH or greater in a school zone are considered to be an immediate danger to the little urchins (er, I mean little children), and in that case the harpoon brings the vehicle to a complete stop and injects pepper spray into the passenger compartment of the vehicle.   $10,000 fines are levied and mandatory 35 year jail sentences are handed down for violations greater than 22.5 MPH in ZERO TOLERANCE school zones.

I cant wait till you get your first ticket mailed to you.  Be sure to tell us right away now! :)

john r. swierz

The traffic device that was on S.Schenley only tells the driver the speed that they are currently going. It was purchased in the late 1990's by YPD
and it is not a camera. The camera's are coming.

our2cents

That's funny.  I was curious if the city had put through the ticket cam program that was previously being mentioned.

Rick Rowlands

Its a harpoon that shoots out of a box chained to a telephone pole along the side of the road.  When a vehicle is detected traveling 21.5 MPH in a 20 MPH speed zone, the harpoon launches, grabs the rear of the vehicle and brings it down to 20 MPH.  I have heard that they are having some problems with the harpoon retrieval system, currently the speed control device usually rips a big hole in the rear of the offending vehicle when harpoon retrieval is activated.

Vehicles traveling at the absolute reckless speed of 22.5 MPH or greater in a school zone are considered to be an immediate danger to the little urchins (er, I mean little children), and in that case the harpoon brings the vehicle to a complete stop and injects pepper spray into the passenger compartment of the vehicle.   $10,000 fines are levied and mandatory 35 year jail sentences are handed down for violations greater than 22.5 MPH in ZERO TOLERANCE school zones. 

Why?Town

Does the device really control speed?

our2cents

I'm wondering the same thing...what speed control device?  Are you just saying one of those flashing signs?

Elmo-Ytown

What speed control device? Drive slowly in all school zones!  ;D

jay

Today the speed control device is located on South Schenley Avenue across from St. Christine School.

Drive slowly in this school zone.   ;D