News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Problem Near Wick Park

Started by jay, April 07, 2008, 04:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Bellamy, MAP Masters of Applied Politics

Jay,
I heard those callers in to Rivers show as well...interestingly this scenario of drug dealers and crack heads squatting in vacant homes is a new phenomenon that has only existed for the last 3-5 years. 

You would think that this conduct would have existed in Youngstown for as long as there have been vacant homes in this town. But that's not the case; this example is an indication that the profitability in low level drug dealing is becoming a process of being able to have access to cash and not necessarily making profits.

In years past, the low level drug deals made enough profits to rent a house legally turn the lights, water, cable and gas on. But now they sit in these homes afraid and in the dark. This is an act of desperation but the drug dealers.     

I have been involved in this community at ground level for nearly 20 years now...that's how I know these things

Our mayor and police forces will have no effect on the crime in Youngstown no matter what they do...they just don't get it at all. I would rather just have a real good paying job and support may family, but I live here in Youngstown so I must run for mayor because our present crop of politicians just don't get it! 

Towntalk

If you will recall, one of the member of this board spoke of the problem in a house in that area  that they were caring for.

I hardly think that "alleged" is the proper term to use since it implies that the callers were not telling the truth. We all know that people are taking over abandoned houses for criminal activity (dog fighting and drugs) so just because it is in the Wick Park Historic district doesn't make it immune.

What angers me is the way the Mayor brushed the callers off with pathetic excuses. The fact that the callers were known to the Mayor as is their organization should result in ordering YPD to pay special attention to the house in question, but I doubt that he will until someone gets shot there.

It seems to me that this Mayor isn't interested in citizen involvement unless it benefits him.

jay

Two people calling Mayor Williams on the Dan River Show this morning mentioned a problem with a home near Wick Park.  The callers alleged that someone is squatting at the house and the occupant is selling drugs.  The owner of the home lives in another state.  The neighbors have not been helped after calling various city departments.

Is there more to this story?  If you have information, please post.