News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown 2010: next step

Started by northside lurker, February 20, 2008, 06:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

The issue is not what the maps say ... we all know what they say. The issue is what the officials say, and their replies do not agree with the maps, and in their view it matters not a twit what the maps say, it's what they themselves say, end of subject.

A number of years ago there was a fire across the street from Oakland Field near the old WHOT studios on Blane Avenue.

At that point Campbell, Youngstown and Coitsville converge. Clearly maps show that the area of the fire which was caused by illegal dumping was in Youngstown ... Campbell officials agreed, Coitsville officials agreed, but Youngstown and Mahoning County officials did not, so that fire continued to burn, and people kept using it as an illegal dump.

POINT:

The way the borders are drawn are so confusing that they open the door to many questions. Who has jurisdiction in these confusing areas?

Example: There are a number of homes directly behind the North Side hospital on the same side of the street as the back of the hospital inside the area of the bump. Are they Youngstown or Liberty residence? Does YPD or YFD service them or are they serviced by Liberty Township. Do they regester to vote in Mahoning or Trumbull Counties?

ytowner

This is not like Alliance having part of their city in Youngstown. The entire hospital in in the City of Youngstown in Mahoning County. How do I know? I just do and all you need to know is via the Mahoning County or Trumbull County Auditor website's.

When they built the hospital back early in the 1900s, the land was given to Mahoning from what I understood. Even my Mahoning County street maps extend that area.

jay

This is a similar situation
Washingtonville is in both Mahoning and Columbiana Counties.
Alliance is in both Mahoning and Stark Counties.

Towntalk

OK, let me see if I understand it right:

Mahoning County ends at Gypsey Lane.

Youngstown at the area of the North Side Hospital extends into Trumbull County which means that not only is Youngstown in Mahoning County but for the bump also in Trumbull County which would mean that Warren is also the "County Seat" for Youngstown, or at least that part that extend into Trumbull County.

I'm confused more that ever. If this is correct, then why shouldn't the people in that precinct also have the right to vote for Trumbull County officials as well as Mahoning County officials.  ??? ???

northside lurker

According to the Mahoning county GIS site, the hospital is within the city limits of Youngstown, but in Trumbull county.

--edit--
I should clarify that the city boundary and county boundary are separate layers, and can clearly be seen.  The city limits are shown to "bump" up and around the hospital while the county boundary doesn't.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Please!!! Can someone answer this question for us once and for all.  All the maps that I've ever seen show the North Side Hospital inside the city of Youngstown ... ALL OF THEM ... yet I've been told by people who should know that it isn't. Now the 2010 map showing the North Heights District shows the hospital inside the city:

http://www.youngstown2010.com/neighborhoods/north/north_heights/north_heights_aerial.jpg

This is an aerial map with the district outlined so how is it that I'm getting two different stories? ONLY ONE CAN BE RIGHT!

IS IT, OR ISN'T THE HOSPITAL INSIDE THE CITY?

northside lurker

The neighborhood plan for the Garden District is now available online.  Follow the link below, and click on "Garden District Neighborhood Plan (PDF*)"

http://www.youngstown2010.com/neighborhoods/west/garden_district/garden_district.htm
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison