News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Convocation Center

Started by Nathan Pavalko, April 12, 2005, 12:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowner

I was talking with someone with the city at lunch today and they said a certain hotel chain wants to come downtown.

for the sake of the city i won't go blabber out the company.

but they think if anything would happen it would be by summers end to have it by november.

kitten44505

First: The Old Hotel Ohio is owned by YMHA and houses people, so it's not available.

I am being sarcastic about tossing the old folks out of their homes - Amedia Plaza [Hotel Ohio Bldg.], and International Towers.

My point is that for all these years since Powers opened, there was no big problem about having to walk several blocks after parking the car, so why should it be a big deal for the Convocation Center.

I get sick and tired of people who are unhappy if they have to walk more than five steps to get to where they want to go.

If they're too lazy to walk a couple of blocks to get to the Convocation Center then stay home!

These same people don't object to walking a few blocks to go to a baseball or football game up at Cleveland, so why gripe here?

Give 'em a good show, and they will walk through holy fire and ice to attend. Again Powers is a perfect example.

MasterNAte2003

I don't know about kicking the old people out (that is very illegal) but I do think we should redevelop the Pick Ohio Hotel into a hotel. And as far as walking, Kitten, I assume you are being sarcastic? The idea around the convo center is that there is little or no parking at the actual center so that you walk from say the parking lot where the master's tuxedo block is on W. Federal to the center. Along the way you "run into" the businesses there and patronize them before or after the event.

kitten44505

YoungstownNewsandViews is absolutely right...who wants to walk four blocks to six blocks to get to an event. Who wants to take a WRTA shuttle?

Well let me tell you something, it hasn't hurt the S-O-L-D O-U-T events at Powers Auditorium.

Here's a possibe solution.

Kick the old folks that live at the International Towers out onto the street and turn that building into a hotel, and while your at it, kick out the residents of the old Hotel Ohio, and make it a hotel again.

Even if that were done, just think about the fact that people would have to walk two to three blocks to the Convocation Center, POOR SOULS!

Oh the crulity of it all!

MasterNAte2003

AS far as Wick park is concerned they are indeed planning a community similar to Smokey Hollow that will be built around the park and the existing homes. More good things are comming to Youngstown!

ytowner

I've been to Buffalo and Cleveland to stay downtown and each were all new in there ENTERTAINMENT District and were built into old dilapidated buildings. Maybe totally renovate that building across from the new Children's Services Building and across from the new Courthouse....

Anyways WICK POLLOCK Is to far away from anything in downtown!

Hey SHARONITE I Sent you a PRIVATE MESSAGE AT DOWNTOWN YOUNGSTOWN.COM

Hey come and join my site.. http://youngstown.rr.nu/index.php?act=site

Sharonite

A downtown hotel would definitely be a great boon to the area.  The redevelopment of the Wick-Pollock inn is also a great idea, but there's no way it could handle the stream of people that the convocation center hopes to attract.  It will be a great supplementary place of lodging, though.

In order for the downtown to thrive, it needs to have people occupying it 24/7, including both residents (lets hope the condominium projects take off) as well as tourists.  But I'm very hopeful.  The Smoky Hollow redevelopment project will also bring hundreds of residents who will more than likely patronize downtown simply because of its close proximity.  I'd love to see a similar project occur in the Wick Park area of the city, only with the focus being on restoration instead of redevelopment (keep it historic!  Bring in some investors who will restore homes to their orignal beauty instead of letting them fall prey to the wrecking ball.  I long for the day when there is not a single boarded-up window left in the Wick Park neighborhood).  Let's hope that the downtown blooms and spreads the positive energy throughout the city's neighborhoods as well.

ytowner

Well I do beleive it is a fact that the Hotel would inhabit a current building.

Maybe a MARRIOTT or HAMPTON INN

MasterNAte2003

I read recently of the y-town convocation center's website forum that there are rumors of the Legal Arts Building (where the Hub restaurant was located) could be converted into a hotel. Anyone have info on that?

AllanY2525

I've seen a couple photos of the Pic-Ohio Hotel building,
and it is DEFINITELY large enough to be made back into
a hotel, if things go well once the new Convocation
Center opens up - who knows?  Maybe someone will buy
this property and convert it back into a hotel again(?)

Allan
:)

MasterNAte2003

As far as any of the hotels still being in downtown: I know that the old Pick Ohio building is still standing. From what I know it may or may not still be used by the Youngstown Metropolitan Housing Authority. I could be wrong on this, if anyone knows any more about it, I would love to know.

http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/youngstown/youngstown.html

has a picture and brief description

ytowner

Not to speak for him but I mean two downtown would be nice.

kitten44505

Jay:

Just how many coffee shops do you think the downtown area can sustain? 1 - 5 - 10 - 25?

Do you really think that the area can support two or three coffee shops on every block of downtown Youngstown?

ytownNAV

The bean counter is expanding for some more room now.

But yeah a Starbucks or Panera will pop up real soon.

jay

The Voyager was demolished years ago.  A Federal Courthouse is now on that location.

The Bean Counter Coffee Shop is located in the first floor of the Realty Building.  At this time, we do not need a second coffee shop on the east end.