News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Gas Supplier

Started by Shirley, August 20, 2007, 10:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our2cents

I just looked through our usage over the last year.  We could have saved 130.00 with the SSO rate.

The calculator on the site, showed an additional .38 cents worked into the total rates using the SSO....but it also figures in with no tax being charged like it does with a supplier.

Here are the breakdowns to figure out and compare usage and costs.

Supplier
Supplier rate: $ 0.00000
Average monthly usage (0 Mcf/ 12): x 0.0 Mcf
Subtotal (supplier charge): $ 0.00
Tax on supplier charge ($0.00 x 6.5%):  $ 0.00 
Delivery charge (average monthly usage 0.0Mcf x delivery charge $2.8663): $ 0.00
Monthly customer charge: + $ 5.70
Estimated Monthly Cost: $ 5.7

Dominion East Ohio
Current total rate: $ 10.79120 
Average monthly usage (0 Mcf/ 12): x 0.0 Mcf
Subtotal: $0.00 
Monthly customer charge: + $ 5.70
Estimated Monthly Cost: $5.7

Shar

The whole natural gas thing has become so confusing that it is really difficult to know what the right choice is.  Dominion changed the way that they price natural gas to residential consumers in October 2006.  The monthly SSO (standard service offer) in priced at NYMEX close (New York Mercantile Exchange) plus $1.44 per mcf each month.  I looked at the historical prices on the PUCO website and the history of Dominions prices since that change is as follows:

SSO- gas price              Total price per MCF with transportation
11/9/06         $  5.641                   $  8.17
12/12/06       $  8.593                   $ 11.2665
1/16/07         $  9.758                   $ 12.4885
2/14/07         $  7.278                   $  9.8871
3/15/07         $  8.357                   $ 11.0965
4/16/07         $  8.987                   $ 11.8938
5/15/07         $  8.998                   $ 11.9053
6/14/07         $  8.948                   $ 11.9809
7/16/07         $  9.031                   $ 12.0679
8/15/07         $  8.369                   $ 11.3666
9/13/07         $  7.55                     $ 10.7912

There have only been two months since Oct 2006 where the price of the gas (SSO) has been over $9.00.  I just can't bring myself to lock into a price greater than $9.00 when the average price for the last 11 months has been $8.32 with only two months over $9.  Whether these prices continue or not is anyone's guess.   ?????????????

our2cents

The state has an updated calculator that uses the actual Dom rate in the breakdown...and the total monthly cost:
http://www.puco.ohio.gov/apps/nga2acalc/index.cfm

That's nice, I'm being ripped off.  DOH!  My only real concern with using Dominion direct, is the variability of their rates.  I'm going to look into if their fixed 9.99 offer they just sent me includes all the fees.  I don't think it does, I think it is just like them being any other supplier.  And then, the SSO rate with Dominion EOG is cheaper....at least this month.

our2cents

I have not heard of it.  The most I know of, was them going door to door trying to convince people to sign a 9.99 fixed rate....with cancel fees if you change your mind.  And Shar is right about the transport fee...and the gas cost.  The big thing is no set rate for their rate....and I even remember getting a notice that Dominion was leaving the supply business totally.  They've been signing people up for their own supply company now if you don't choose another.  I'm trying to find that on the sites.

I just looked at the state site, and Youngstown has no approved gas agg program...only electric:
http://www.pickocc.org/map/county.php?county=mahoning

I usually look at the state chart that changes whenever prices change:
http://www.puco.ohio.gov/Puco/ApplesToApples/NaturalGas.cfm?id=4810

I'm currently on a variable rate, with a max capped rate 10.49, with Integrys (formerly WGS before they were bought out).  I've thought of changing many times, but so far the annual cost has balanced out to be a little less than even a fixed rate with one of the other companies.

Shar

I have not heard of that fixed rate.  Keep in mind when you pick a supplier that you need to add about $2.87 per mcf of gas to that rate for transportation.  The $9.65 rate means you will pay about $12.52 per mcf of gas.  The current rate for gas through Domion the utility supplier is $10.79 per mcf.  If you go to the Public Utility Commission of Ohio website and then to the "Apples to Apples" comparison for natural gas for Dominion they have a calculator that will tell you the price differences for the different suppliers and the prices that are available. 

Shirley

Has anyone on the forum heard of Vectrem Force Gas Supplier having an aggregation with Austintown, Canfield and Youngstown with a fixed rate of 9.65 until Oct. 2008?