News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

West Federal Street Redesign Meeting - Monday August 6

Started by jay, July 26, 2007, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

northside lurker

I think, because W. Federal is concrete and not asphalt, it would need to be taken out completely to be repaved.  This would disrupt the root system of the trees, and possibly kill them.  I believe the rule of thumb is (and I could be wrong--I didn't look it up) that if the roots under the tree's canopy are disturbed, it's likely to cause damage or death to the tree.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

I'm really on the fence about this.  On one hand, if they tear up the paved streets to repave (and I guess W. Federal needs repaved?) the trees in the center median will probably be damaged or die completely anyway.  I'd hate to see the median saved only to be filled with dead or dying trees.

On the other hand, if the new design is going to be anything like what Central square turned into, I'm completely against any work on W. Federal.  Even though they saved a few pieces of landscape, and added a few young trees, it still feels like a concrete wasteland everytime I walk through the central square area.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Mary

Fox 16/62 had a report on this tonight on the 10pm news cast.

ForumManager

Even though the medians irritate me sometimes combined with the one way streets, I feel that we spend TOO MUCH money redesigning things that are OK and need to focus on bigger issues. Sometimes I need to drive around the block but I can remember visiting Chicago and it took us over a half hour to get around a section of the city to get where we wanted to go... so it is no biggie to go around a block here to get to a business.

jay

Many citizens seem to be against the West Federal Street redesign project.

Someone of influence must be pushing this costly project.  Who are the players?

Towntalk

In light of the bridge collapse yesterday in Minneapolis, and the report that a huge number of bridges all over the country are at risk, are our concerns about a few trees on Federal Street not just a little bit misdirected?

What is the condition of the bridges in Mahoning County?

The bridge that collapsed was only 40 years old, and most of the bridges here are far older than that.

The specific issue under discussion here is one of aesthetics, but the condition of our bridges is critical. No one's life is in danger by redoing West Federal Street, but the collapse of one of our bridges would kill those unfortunate enough to be on one when and if it collapsed, and the report that thousands of America's bridges are at risk should set of alarm bells.

Hopefully in the days to come, a full report will come out listing all those bridges that are at risk so that we can see just how many of our bridges fall under the at risk category, in the meantime this is a question that we should be putting to our officials.

rusty river

Obviously this isn't a formal petition. Its merely the expression of valley residents that they are in opposition to the fact that the city plans on carrying out the West Federal destruction with next to zero input from the public. Its an expression that valley residents are tired of decisions being made behind closed doors by those pushing personal agendas.

ForumManager

I looked through the list of signers out of curiosity and noticed several that I know that are not residents of Youngstown.
Although I feel they definitely have a right to voice their opinion, will the petition stand if signed by suburbanites?

Ted

I hope Claire Maluso sees the writing on the wall and retires before she gets canned when the new council comes in.

northside lurker

I'd like to repeat this because it't easy to overlook above.

RSVP your attendance to Lynn by Wednesday, August 1, 2007
--Thomas Edison

rusty river

The following is from an email sent out by Defend Youngstown. Phil I hope you don't mind me posting it....
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A dispatch to the Youngstown Nation:

For those unaware, the Central Area Community Improvement Corp. (CIC) and the City of Youngstown are currently in the process of finalizing plans to "modernize" West Federal St. in downtown Youngstown. New designs call for the removal of all tree-lined medians and replacement of some existing sidewalk space with additional parking (horizontal lots).

The plan is being met with resistance from YSU and area elected officials, W. Federal business owners, CityScape, young professionals and students from Youngstown State University.

Time is of the essence as contracting bids are set to begin by the middle of this month. Contractor selection is slated for the end of it. 

The city has called for a public meeting to seek input from concerned citizens (see below). Those who are interested in learning more about the project or would like to intelligently offer an opposing opinion to the plan as it stands (or the process in which such plans are administered) are encouraged to attend.

Accordingly, Defend Youngstown is asking all "defenders" who fit the above description to attend this meeting and let your voice be heard, if only through mere attendance itself.

Your city and those who defend and support it thank you in advance for your time and attention to this matter.  Keep the defense strong.

DEFEND YOUNGSTOWN

P.S. For those who cannot attend but would like to ask a question or offer an opinion regarding the project, email Carmen Conglose, Director of Public Works @ CConglose@CityofYoungstownOH.com

Monday, August 6, 2007, 3:00 pm, at City Council Chambers, 6th Floor, City Hall, 26 S. Phelps St., Youngstown,Ohio.

An overview of the proposed project will be presented by Carmen Conglose, Deputy Director of Public Works, City of Youngstown .  The intent is to share this information with as many interested parties as possible, to insure sound planning, cooperation, and support.  While attempts will be made to address audience questions, this meeting is not designed to resolve individual issues.  We strongly encourage you to attend this meeting.

Please contact the YCACIC office  (330.779.0602--njs inserted) and RSVP your attendance to Lynn by Wednesday, August 1, 2007.

Thank you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

An online petition has been created asking Youngstown City Council to postpone its plans to allow for adequate feedback and ideas from the city's residents and businesses. Please show your support for protecting the aesthetic beauty of downtown by following the link and signing the petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/wfed07/petition.html

jay

Changes To West Federal Street
A Public Meeting

Monday, August 6, 3:00 p.m.

City Council Chambers
6th Floor
City Hall
26 S. Phelps Street
Youngstown,Ohio.