News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown's Small Stores

Started by jay, March 08, 2007, 06:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

The problem of where to shop in certain areas of town goes back fifty years or more. Real supermarkets avoid locating in parts of the inner city because of shoplifting problems and other crime.

The South Side use to be well served by several Supermarkets as well as speciality stores (meat markets and bakery's) on both Market Street, South Avenue, and Midlothian as well as Glenwood Avenue.

Unfortunately no one here has the answers that will solve the problem. We can't force business men to locate there.

Two businesses did give it a try ... Sparkle and Giant Eagle and look at what happened after a very short time. They both closed.

I don't have the answer, but I still say that we can not tolerate businesses that engage in criminal activity.

Rick Rowlands

Those are not any stores that I would want to shop at.  They are generally a blight on the community and a gathering place for criminal activity.  How many times have crimes occurred at the Six Brothers Market?  I specifically recall at least two within the past few months.

Since the store on Albert Street closed due to a raid a couple of years ago that corner has really quieted down. 

jay

Where are the poor and elderly going to go to shop if their small neighborhood store is forced to close as Councilman Hudson has suggested?   The city of Youngstown is not about to open a store for them.

Towntalk

Jay, I couldn't disagree with you more. Tell that to the poor folks on the South Side that have no other option. Tell that to the Senior Citizen that can't get out, and don't have the money to go out to try every new restaurant that opens up. Why do you think the closing of the Sparkle Market was such a big hit to the folks on the South Side as well as that store that was located on East Midlothian.

Sure, these "convince stores" have limitations in size and buying power, BUT THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE, and by the way ... for your information ... a number of those stores are part of the group that took over from the United Markets group, and they do buy in bulk. Not as big as Sparkle Market or Save-A-Lot, but big enough that they get deliveries several times a week. I know that because I live right between two of them, and I see the trucks coming and going.

Which is more important to you ... an honest store keeper or a thief!

Those honest businesses that contribute to the area they serve are hurt because of the bad apples.

Like I said before, the store across the street from me i run by a man who truly cares about the neighborhood. He's fair in his prices, and more importantly, he goes out of his way to help people. these are the folks that we should be supporting, not the stores that commit crimes.

Would you tolerate such a store in your neighborhood?

You're awfully quick to point out blemishes such as a mattress tossed out, or a bit of art on a bridge, yet you seem to be defending  criminal acts on the part of a small handfull of businesses, and I must admit that I do not understand the logic.

Mary

Regardless of anything else the news channels reported that other stores in the area started the investigation because they were reporting high rates of shoplifting of certain items (like formula).

The stores should be closed. The sad part is that they will reopen in a brother, sister or other family members name and it will be the same thing all over again. This is very common according to a very close friend of mine that is very familiar with the operations at "corner stores". Her family owns several but not in this area.

Yes its sad that they are taking advantage of the poor people in the area. But the real reason they should be closed is because they broke the law.

On a side note one of the stores busted is up the street from me on McCartney. They are already closed.

jay

I intend to do a price comparison of a few items in the weeks to come.

A convenience store, due to space limitations, can not stock a boxload of every item.  In order to have some variety, they only stock a few of each item.  Generally the small stores are not able to take advantage of bulk buying.  They do not purchase a pallet load of anything.  Their access to wholesale suppliers is limited. 

When any customer purchases a small quantity of goods, they should also factor in the cost of their own transportation to get the goods.  Example - If a box of cereal sells for $2.50 at a major store, but it costs you an additional $2.00 in bus fares to go there and back, then the purchase would be $4.50 for that one item.  This does not even factor in the travel time needed to make the purchase. 

Many shoppers in the innercity walk to the store and usually don't have a transportation cost to factor into the price of an item.

Towntalk

I didn't mean to imply that "everything" these 12 stores sell was stolen, but the fact still remains that the police DID find stolen goods in these stores, and these stores are all located in low income areas ill served by reputable stores such as Sparkle Market.

I have absolutely no sympathy for them ... none whatever.

Let me ask you this question, would you do your weekly shopping at any of these stores? The very poor and elderly in these areas have little choice. Most don't have either the transportation or the money to get to the supermarkets, most of which are located in the suburbs.

Many have only food stamps, and unless they are fortunate enough to be able to get rides, and left to patronize these convince stores.

Tell you what. Stop in at one of the twelve stores that were raided and buy a can of coffee and a quart of milk, then stop at a store that was not raided and see what you pay for the same items. Then put yourself in the shoes of a poor person with a limited income and say that it's fair.

The March 6th Vindicator article stated: "The buyers are generally low-income people who don't have transportation, Rossi said." and my heart goes out to them. There for the grace of God go I.

The raid on these 12 stores will send a very strong message to all the convince stores in Youngstown,  and hopefully force them out of business.

As for those stores that run honest businesses, and hopefully they are in the majority, I have no complaint. They have a difficult time trying to compete with the major supermarkets because they lack the buying power, but at the same time they do not buy stolen goods, or cheat in regards to food stamps.

By the way, there is an new article about these stores in today's Vindicator.

jay

I doubt that most items for sale in these small stores were stolen from other stores.  As for the inflated prices, I think we should investigate to see if this accusation is true.

Towntalk

Clearly it will help. These stores have a limited amount of goods to sell, and charge inflated prices taking advantage of the poor and elderly.

One of the stores in question is just down the street from me, and I have never shopped there for the simple reason that right across the street is another grocery store that has a wide variety of goods at reasonable prices, and the owners are super people that truly care about their customers and the neighborhood.

The stores that were raided should be closed down because if they are willing to sell stolen goods what else are they doing that is illegal ... selling liquor and tobacco products to minors? We do not need these kind of businesses in Youngstown period.

jay

If you have been watching the news, you would have seen a report stating that many small Youngstown stores were involved in the resale of stolen foods and merchandise.  Councilman Hudson is calling for the closure of all of these offending stores.
Will the closing of these stores hurt or help the intercity community?