News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Speedway @ Mahoning & Meridian Robbed Tonight

Started by our2cents, September 12, 2006, 09:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Actually, there is a type of bulletproof glazing (it's not actually glass, buta substance called "lucite")
that is about 1 inch thick (banks use it at the teller windows) and it can withstand a prolonged
gunfire attack without shattering - even when hit repeatedly in the same exact spot by multiplle
bullets.

Another unique quality to lucite is that it does not have any "magnifying glass" effect, despite
its thickness. When you are looking through it, it looks just like ordinary window glass.

:)

Mary

Also Bulletproof glass is only safe for the first couple bullets. After that it weakens and can break. Most thief's would not stick around this long but you never know anymore.

AllanY2525

Quote from: yfdgricker on September 13, 2006, 09:28:33 PM
Quote from: AllanY2525 on September 13, 2006, 08:32:19 AM
It sounds like this Speedway station does NOT have a bullet proof glass barrier around the cashier's booth.
This would have prevented the robbery altogether, most likely.  If the potential robber can plainly see that:

a) the cashier's booth is impenetrable and bulletproof
b) the cashier, and the cash register, are IN the bulletproof enclosure
c) there are security cameras, etc present

Then they will not even attempt a robbery in nearly all cases.

You would think that, but the Shell station at South and Midlothian has a bulletproof room and there are always police going there for robberies and shootings. You would think that being in a bulletproof room would deter that but it hasn't seemed to.

Rick,

How are they being robbed if the cashier and the money are behind the bulletproof barricade?  Is the cashier being stupid enough to just open
the bulletproof area and let them come on inside?  I can understand police calls for robberies and shootings OUTSIDE the gas station - but
INSIDE?  How is this possible when they don't even let anyone enter the building after hours?

If the safety and robbery counter-measures are implemented properly, the store doesn't have to LOOK like Fort Knox - it just has to be secure
enough that the person working inside it is out of harm's way - DAY OR NIGHT - but especially at night, which is the time of day that most
robberies of this type take place.

Yes, it is sad that these measures are even necessary at all, but it will be even MORE sad if these gas stations, etc. get robbed so much
that the just close up altogether and move to Boardman, or Austintown, or Poland, etc, etc etc - leaving the neighborhood with NO store
or gas station at all.

our2cents

Quote from: yfdgricker on September 13, 2006, 09:28:33 PM
You would think that, but the Shell station at South and Midlothian has a bulletproof room and there are always police going there for robberies and shootings. You would think that being in a bulletproof room would deter that but it hasn't seemed to.

I don't believe it will stop anyone that is determined to rob the place.  And I wouldn't expect for a cashier to think they're safe and not turn over the money.  I stand by the fact that it only changes the neighborhood's feel to one of fear & negativity.  Once that process starts, it's rather hard to stop all the changes that come along with it.

yfdgricker

Quote from: AllanY2525 on September 13, 2006, 08:32:19 AM
It sounds like this Speedway station does NOT have a bullet proof glass barrier around the cashier's booth.
This would have prevented the robbery altogether, most likely.  If the potential robber can plainly see that:

our2cents

Most businesses in the area do not have the glass...yet.  I'm still not sure on their camera situation.  Most businesses there do have cameras installed, but choose to not have it look like Fort Knox as they feel it hurts the general feeling of the neighborhood.  Making the stores all seem like the customers are in danger has a major effect on it's neighbors.  I can't help but think of how many communities had them change drastically when families get scared and move away. 

AllanY2525

ForumManager

Same here, pay at pump and use my speedy rewards card.  I've never gone in to use my rewards though! I don't even know how.
It did take 2 cents a gallon off for awhile there.

our2cents

Quote from: ForumManager on September 12, 2006, 11:52:19 PM
It's  my most frequently used gas station.

I should have classified it the same way. 

ForumManager

our2cents

It's a common fueling point for me.  I've always paid at the pump at that speedway...ease of use.  So, unfortunately I don't know if they really have a camera.

It's just different types of crime depending on the area and time of day.  During the day, you have people robbing homes that they've cased out & they know that no one is home.  I think more business robberies happen after dark for obvious reasons. 

Any extra eyes are a plus at any time of day.  Let's face reality, the PD can only do so much on their own.  Any extra info they hear may help them catch these criminals.

jay

I've been in that gas station.  Doesn't it have a security camera behind the counter?

Question
Is the evening to most active time for criminal activity?  I'm just wondering if block watches should encourage the members to walk the neighborhoods during that time.   

our2cents

This was about 8:30 PM tonight.

What I heard on the scanner was:

Large black male, fled on foot initially, was followed by wit.  He was seen by several wits at surrounding businesses from how it sounds.  He then hopped into a grayish / darker colored lumina or grand prix, last seen heading east on Oakwood.  It sounded like he was going to hit 680 and YPD had units keeping an eye out on the southbound exits.

Unfortunately I had to turn off the scanner as I was over-ruled by the rest of the house due to Rockstar.   ::)  It's time to get a good headset.   :)

jay

Do have any details?
time of day, one or more, man or woman, height, color of , weapon, clothing

our2cents

Speedway @ Mahoning & Meridian Robbed Tonight.