News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

February Site Changes

Started by ForumManager, February 01, 2014, 09:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want to see less categories on the forums? If yes please indicate in this thread which boards should be removed.  Messages can be moved to another location.

yes
2 (28.6%)
no
5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: February 23, 2014, 11:37:37 AM

Rick Rowlands

Do you think you could consolidate some of the forums?  There are way too many and are not justified by the low number of posts made.  Since I am sure that most of us click on the "New posts since last visit" each time we log in, the numerous categories make no sense but only go to confuse people who wish to post.  For example, if I want to post something about Anne Gilliam's stance on road repavings, do I do it in Political News, Youngstown in General, East Side, Downtown, Road News or Construction News?  It it rather silly to have so many categories. 

I think you could get rid of Mass Transit, Fire News, Police News, Road News, Construction News and Airport News as topics posted in those forums would fit under the main forums at the top of the page.  This will certainly help streamline the utility of the site.

BTW the jury is still out on the RSS Feeds.  I went from a half page of new posts to three pages.  I could see this getting out of hand very quickly.  I don't want to go for three days then log in and find ten pages of new posts to wade through.

ForumManager

During this month the Mahoning Valley Site will be changing.
The main site is currently closed for maintenance.

The forum will remain open. 

There is now a new forum category.
The RSS feed board pulls in feeds and you can comment on those news items.
WFMJ and WKBN are  first test boards. I  will add more as the week  goes on.
Some local news services don't offer feeds. 

If you know of a local website that offers News Feeds and might welcome exposure and discussion, please let me know via personal message.

Other changes to the forum will be minor. Perhaps a theme change for the new year.

I am considering opening up a stand alone classified ads center. 

Thank you for your patience and continued support.