News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Housing Code Violations

Started by jay, August 13, 2013, 06:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenneyjoe330

jay - how many houses were in the neighborhood ?  In my Hood if they looked at 95 houses there would probably be 90 that had deficiencies  :laugh: ;D

jay

The list of code violations included the need of paint, window repair, gutters/downspouts, foundation, siding, garage, porch, chimney or driveway.

northside lurker

These are probably more like: needs painted, visible structural deficiency (i.e. porches, stairs), broken windows, maybe even tall grass, etc.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

joly1584

Were those just exterior violations, or did they also enter the houses?

I can name several violations in my neighborhood.  Work done by either the homeowner or a cheap contractor, so proper permits were not issued, therefore no inspections by the city.  We are a friendly neighborhood, so everyone tends to look the other way for what we consider "minor" infractions, like putting up a fence or shed without going through proper channels.

The only problem we had was one neighbor put up a fence 3 feet over the property line.  When the neighbor complained to the city, the city told him the fastest way was to get a lawyer and he could take down the fence himself.  If the city got involved there would be too much red tape.   His attorney sent the neighbor who built the fence a warning letter and when the neighbor who built the fence refused to tear it down, the neighbor whose property it was on tore it down himself.

jay

A recent survey by a YNDC staff identified 95 houses with code enforcement violations in one west side neighborhood.