News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"We the People Kick Fractivist Butt in Youngstown!"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, May 07, 2013, 11:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Rick: Susie and Phil are not totally opposed to new businesses coming into the city, but they set conditions, and those conditions are that the businesses wanting to locate in the city come to them on bended knees and seek their blessing before they even go through norman channels, and I wouldn't be a bit supprised if our "friends" didn't have their hands out for an envelope of cold hard cash before they would give the businesses their blessing.

Who gave Phil and Susie the power to determine Youngstown's future any way? By what legal authority do they act. I'm sick and tired of non-elected people acting like they are the undisputed almighty authority over everything under the sun; moon; stars; and planets where Youngstown is concerned!

It's one thing for us to sit here and express our opinions we do not act as if we are in control of the city's future with powers that go above and beyond the legal authorities that were duely elected by the voters.

Rick Rowlands

Gas people need to eat- there are restaurant jobs
Gas people need to drive their pickups to the job sites.  Those trucks need repaired, maintained, etc.
Gas people need places to live.  Short term that means hotel jobs, long term that means house construction, remodeling, landscaping, etc.
Gas people need entertainment.  Movies, shows, sports, museums etc.
Gas people need groceries.  Store cashiers, clerks, stockboys etc.
Gas people have children.  Daycare, schools, toysrus etc.

So there are many jobs that will be positively affected by an increase in people working in the Gas fields.  And we are not even touching upon things that all those now wealthy people in Columbiana and Trumbull Counties will be buying with their royalties.

Youngstownshrimp

YTown,
Have you approached the various energy companies invested in the Valley yet and what was there response?
Bill, no answer from you on your resume?

Why?Town

I don't see Billy as being negative in this thread.

He poses legitimate questions concerning required experience and duration of jobs.

My personal experience being permanently laid off from manufacturing supervision and support jobs for most of 2009 and 2010 and again currently is that employers want experience in EXACTLY what the job entails, no deviations allowed.

Typical of my many personal examples:

A local company was looking for a CNC machinist with some programming  (3 yr experience). I got an interview. I'm not a machinist, per se due to how I came through the ranks at my previous job (CNC operator, inspector, supervisor, programmer) but I have several advantages over someone with only 3 yrs experience. I was also very familiar with programming and running the exact machine that this position was available for. I don't believe "overqualification" was an issue because the position paid within $1 / hour of my previous job(s) and wasn't mentioned as an issue during the interview. What was mentioned was the fact that I had no real experience machining the exact parts that needed run on this machine. Basically they wanted someone with 3yrs doing that exact job. Where does someone get that experience?

I've seen ads run for over six months, one for over a year, for jobs I could easily do but don't have the EXACT experience.

It's like they think if you drive a Chevy you couldn't figure out a Ford.

Billy Mumphrey

I hope so. I just hope the promise of new jobs is not another pipe dream like the lake to river canal, blimp factory, car factory, indoor race track, etc.

Towntalk

Once things get under way, there will be an increase in job opportunities in fields not directly related to the oil and gas industry. With more expendable cash becoming available, more retail businesses will look for more help, and new businesses will open that aren't as demanding as the oil and gas industry. Likewise, look for more manufacturing plants to locate here in the valley to supply the oil and gas industry.

It will take time for this to happen, it won't come over night, but it will come.

Right this minute this is little consolation for those seeking jobs now, but here is an opportunity to use the time to sharpen your skills at one of the trade schools such as IBM in Austintown, or theNew Castle School of Trades.

Billy Mumphrey

I am not against jobs. I need a job. I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just asking where are the jobs somebody with a general education and general skills have a chance at landing? Where can the average citizen go to find a job in this field? My other concern is if one has to go to school to receive training for this positions such as at New Castle School of Trades, etc....will the jobs still be here if it takes 18 to 24 months to get training? And when all the shale is gone, I assume all the jobs will leave as well?

I don't consider myself a leftist, but a simple middle-aged middle of the road kind of guy trying to figure out if there are any jobs coming with the gas/oil boom for just an average Joe like me.

Youngstownshrimp

I'm working more and so are my associates. 
We are even hiring for real estate support not even energy directly related, but land management.
Billy it is obvious to some here that you really are just hell bent on being negative to this success we have been blessed with here in Youngstown.  Many landowners are investing their new found wealth in local projects ask the supply houses, they love it.   You and the few who are against this new energy revolution will soon be outnumbered by the brain drain returning to Youngstown.  The leftist will wither away as it always does in booming free enterprise.
Crap!  look what time it is, gotta go to work, new workers are waiting for me for supplies.

Billy Mumphrey

Drug-testing aside, everyone of the jobs listed on TownTalk's post other than security guard requires 2-10 years experience in the gas/oil industry. In checking the jobs on the Ohio Oil and Gas Association, the same requirements exist in addition to degrees in oil/gas engineering, etc are required. How many area adults who could pass the drug test have these qualifications? Slim and none. How many adults on this site who can pass a drug test are qualified for any of these jobs? Such requirements were not needed to work in the steel industry years ago. I still disagree that there will be an economic job boom in the area just for these reasons.

Rick Rowlands

Billy, there are jobs available, but they go unfilled because the average Youngstown applicant cannot pass a drug test and has no or low skills.   So reliable skilled and drug free people have to be brought in from elsewhere.

Youngstownshrimp

Towntalk

There were at least two different sessions for people to apply for jobs in the industry recently. One of them was at YSU.

Billy Mumphrey

When do all the new jobs arrive in Youngstown? I would like to apply. Does anybody have a web link?