News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Exceptionally cool aerial photos

Started by ForumManager, June 21, 2006, 05:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Microsoft has their own satellite imaging site :

www.terraserver.com

Give it a try

:)

ForumManager

not really complaining... just pointing it out.It seems like a HUGe undertaking to map out stats. The site  does have a disclaimor about not relying on the information. They have a download section where you can also  get the maps.

northside lurker

Well, the site does have mistakes.  My street name is misspelled, and my property is drawn incorrectly.  I'm sure there are plenty more.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ForumManager

It does the same thing in both IE and firefox. Not a browser issue.
I will choose to map property and it will show fine ...and the property will be outlined.
The owner information will be correct.
I click one of the photo options in the layers and if I click anywhere on the photo the  owner changes to someone else in a completely different TOWN.

For instance I had it set to look at a property on Leffingwell Rd. in Ellsworth.
It showed fine.  I clicked and it bumped me to owner  information for  an  address on South Avenue in Boardman.  I clicked an adjacent property and it showed info for a completely different property owner in Salem.  AND it is always the same mistaken identities....like  it is a database issue.

The map and photo don't change...just the info.

northside lurker

Quote from: ForumManager on June 22, 2006, 08:40:40 AM
The Mahoning County site has photos as recent as 2005.  They have 3 different  years to choose from.
We notice  a glitch in the system at MC. Maybe it is just my computer. I'll try to change different things  in the layers or try to highlight a neighboring property and the owner  names will change to people not even on that road.   
The search function within the GIS system is quirky as well. 
Does anyone else have that issue?
I won't presume to know more about this kind of thing than you, but the M.C. GIS site is very sensitive to what browser and security settings you use.  I use Firefox at home, and the site is almost useless.  So I open IE, and it works fine.

I wish the photos were consistent.  2004 is the best with each pixel measuring only 4", and even being in color.  If I had any say in the matter, I would have downgraded the 2004 photo to 1'/pixel, and made the current 2005 photo high-res.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ForumManager

I like the live site  only because of the bird's eye, the ability to change the angles and the user friendly interface.

I've used the Mahoning County site many times.
I took aerial photos into a meeting  for a visual reference and was asked who I hired to  take them!!   ;)
They were surprised to hear I retrieved  them from the MC site.

The Mahoning County site has photos as recent as 2005.  They have 3 different  years to choose from.
We notice  a glitch in the system at MC. Maybe it is just my computer. I'll try to change different things  in the layers or try to highlight a neighboring property and the owner  names will change to people not even on that road.   
The search function within the GIS system is quirky as well. 
Does anyone else have that issue?
I'm not complaining though. The  fact that we have this available to us is great.

Some counties have a  frontal photo of houses but it is my understanding that it might be eliminated due to possible criminal stalking.  Does anyone know details about this?

northside lurker

Quote from: yfdgricker on June 22, 2006, 01:03:10 AM
You may also want to check out the Mahoning County GIS site at http://gis.mahoningcountyoh.gov/
Mahoning county has one of the best systems like this I have seen.  There is so much information available there, and the link with the auditor's website provides even more information.
--Thomas Edison

yfdgricker

It was pre convocation center also.

You may also want to check out the Mahoning County GIS site at http://gis.mahoningcountyoh.gov/

Click on Map Viewer and then zoom in to an area and turn on the Ortho Photo 2004. It's more current than Local Live is.

ForumManager

LOL
the birdseye  doesn't work everywhere in the county...but in Youngstown it works pretty well.
I looked at my house and noticed that the photo is from a couple of years ago. 
We had a landscaping project in the backyard at the time and I can see the materials from it.

northside lurker

That is cool!  I always wanted to look into my neighbors' backyards. ;)
--Thomas Edison