News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Shovel Your Sidewalks

Started by jay, January 02, 2013, 10:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

The city should take care of sidewalks the same as they do with the streets if they are truly concerned about sidewalks being shoveled. There is no way the current ordinance will work.  Who is going to shovel the miles of sidewalks in front of abandoned properties and in front of city owned land? 

The only solution is for the city to arm itself with a fleet of these machines and treat sidewalks as additional lanes of travel to be attended to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naQI8_UP_Uo

http://ventrac.com/advantages/snow/

iwasthere

the rep is elected by its citizens to follow and enforce the laws. i rent and i make it my pt to tell my ldld about the city ordinance to make sure he is in compliance with the law.

Rick Rowlands

The law should be repealed.  Property owners usually do not use the sidewalks in front of their property, and it is wrong to assume that the property owners have either the physical stamina to shovel a walk they will not use or the financial ability to pay someone to do it for them.  The city plows the streets, so the city should also take care of the sidewalks.

Why?Town

Quote from: iwasthere on January 02, 2013, 02:04:13 PM
i totally disagree with that rep.

So you are of the belief that nobody is too old to shovel their walk and everyone afford to pay someone to do it for them?

Quote from: iwasthere on January 02, 2013, 02:04:13 PM
this rep is making up excuses that he/she refuses to enforce the law of the land in ytown.

Are you also of the belief that a councilperson's job is to enforce laws?

iwasthere

Quote from: jay on January 02, 2013, 10:17:15 AM
There is an ordinance in Youngstown requiring homeowners to shovel snow from their sidewalks.

One city councilman recently said that many Youngstown residents are too old to shovel snow, are in failing health, or are too poor to hire someone to remove the snow.  As a result, most neighborhoods are a patchwork of shoveled and not shoveled sidewalks.

i totally disagree with that rep. this rep is making up excuses that he/she refuses to enforce the law of the land in ytown.

jay

In today's Youngstown newspaper, there is a letter to the editor about the roads in Youngstown.

irishbobcat

Hard to believe that some roads that are pretty much traveled still have not been plowed in Youngstown and Campbell....

jay

There is an ordinance in Youngstown requiring homeowners to shovel snow from their sidewalks.

One city councilman recently said that many Youngstown residents are too old to shovel snow, are in failing health, or are too poor to hire someone to remove the snow.  As a result, most neighborhoods are a patchwork of shoveled and not shoveled sidewalks.