News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Cuts loom if Mahoning County voters reject bus levy, WRTA chief says

Started by northside lurker, October 14, 2012, 09:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Why is it OK for the gov't to subsidize roads, and not other transportation infrastructure?

Anyway, to answer your question, I didn't say the gov't shouldn't subsidize roads.  I would just suggest that, if privately owned transit services were ever to be profitable again, the gov't would have to subsidize roads less.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Westsider, I don't understand your comment about govt. not subsidizing roads.  That is actually one of the few things that govt. does that they SHOULD be doing.   

Why?Town

Quote from: irishbobcat on October 15, 2012, 10:06:54 PM
If the poor could pony up for the true costs of operating the bus, they would own a car.....Stop and think once in awhile, Ricky....

The Vindy article said the levy income accounts for 70% of the budget. Would people quit riding the bus at $3 a trip?

The true cost of operating the bus DIVIDED by all riders would hardly equal the price of a car for each.

irishbobcat

If the poor could pony up for the true costs of operating the bus, they would own a car.....Stop and think once in awhile, Ricky....

jay

If you want to help the levy campaign, come to the Friends of Transit spaghetti dinner.

If you can not attend, buy one or more tickets and give them to your friends.

Friends of Transit Spaghetti Dinner

Sunday, October 28
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

- Location -
Basement Hall
St. Patrick Church
Oak Hill Avenue
Youngstown, Ohio

iwasthere

the cost is shared by everyone though a sale tax. there are people who are gainfully employed use the wrta as thier transportation mode for various reasons.

northside lurker

I agree, the privately run model is a great idea.  But it won't work as long as the government continues to subsidize roads so much.  Either the gov't should subsidize infrastructure, or it shouldn't.  It can't pick winners, and not expect losers.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

The best use for signing bonuses is not to blow it driving around half empty buses, but to spend it on big projects that otherwise could not be funded.  Youngstown wants to use theirs in addressing the backlog of houses that need demolished and Campbell wants to use theirs for infrastructure projects.    As for WRTA, riders need to pony up the true cost of their bus rides.  The previous Youngstown Municipal Railways was a for profit company and paid the city for a franchise to operate on city streets.  I think we need to get back to that business model.

iwasthere

Quote from: irishbobcat on October 15, 2012, 01:29:01 PM
If you're forced to buy a car, somebody will be forced to steal it... :laugh:
not if i have my dragon, minnie and mickey, turkey and my other stuff animals guarding it.

Rushblvd

Need a WRTA sign for my yard please--Where do I get it-or can someone put in my yard please?

irishbobcat

If you're forced to buy a car, somebody will be forced to steal it... :laugh:

iwasthere

irishbobcat

Shouldn't all this fracking money that is coming into the county and making us all super rich help pay for WRTA? Since everyone is getting rich off of mineral rights, I am sure voters then have extra money to
support bus service.... :laugh:

Besides, this levy is a renewal...no new taxes....

jay

irishbobcat

We need the WRTA. The poor and people with disabilities need transportation.