News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Question for old timers.

Started by Towntalk, August 28, 2011, 11:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Aside from Youngstown Canfield Road and Glenwood Avenue none of the other streets have names. The question then boils down to the name of the lake. Is it Lake Newport or Lake Cohassett?

Remembering that the ad was published in 1910 and there was expansions since then until the present city limits.

jay

Rogers Road runs north from Canfield Road.  It is the first road east of Mill Creek Park.  I'm pretty sure it dead ends into the parking lot that was next to the former Idora Park Ballroom.

northside lurker

I find it interesting that both adds mention "ownership restrictions" "properly restricted" and "sold to desirable people."

I also find the "on the sunny side of the smoke" interesting, but less offensive. :)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

Today that area is the far east side of the Youngstown 2010 neighborhood designated "29" and the 2010 neighborhood designated "Indian Village."  As far as I know, those areas are still pretty stable.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

In the 10/12/1919 Vindicator the Mill Creek Land Company ran a full page ad for Roger's  Park. This development was near Youngstown Canfield Road with Glenwood Avenue being one of the main streets.

The ad said that this was to be an exclusive development with "Ridged Ownership and Building Restritions."

The ad also said:

"Everyone may feast their eyes and heart's full upon the wholesome goodness of Roger's Park – but only a limited number will qualify as residents in this glorious homesite, justly termed the "The Playground of the Gods."

What is that area like today?