News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Building

Started by Towntalk, August 20, 2010, 05:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Evolution of the Youngstown Telegram

1852 – Free Democrat
                       1854 – True American
                       1855 – Mahoning Register
                       1875 – Register and Tribune
                       1880 – Evening Register
                       1882 – Youngstown News-Register
                       1885 – News-Register [combining Daily News and Sunday Morning]
                       1885 – Name changed to the Youngstown Telegram
                       The Vindicator took over the Telegram in 1936.

Towntalk

Historically the Youngstown Telegram was the oldest paper in town. When it built the plant on South Chestnut and Boardman Street, the corner was renamed Telegram Square.

At the time, the Vindicator was located on the corner of South Phelps and Boardman across from City Hall.

In the 1930's the Telegram's circulation started to slide, and in order to keep it's ad rates high, the Telegram started padding it's ABC reports by high press runs that exceeded the actual sales, and the excess papers were dumped.

Someone reported seeing Telegram trucks dumping bundles into the Ohio River and reported it to authorities. Other drivers were stashing bundles in their garages and later selling them as scrap paper.

To make a long story short, Scripp Howard sold the paper to the Vindicator, and the Vindicator relocated into the Telegram building, and renamed the area Vindicator Square.

The old Vindicator building was demolished and after getting its license, the Vindicator built the WFMJ building.

At the time, WFMJ was Youngstown's second radio Station, but over the years prior to WKBN going on the air there were other radio stations that had short lives in Youngstown:

WMC - 1922 - 1923
WMBW - 1927
WDBF - 1923 - 1925
WAAY - 1922 - 1923

kenneyjoe330

I was think that the two "the ONLY ONES" were 1) The building is the only one with "Vindicator Square" as an address and 2) It is the only daily newspaper in town.  Am I correct in thinking that is true?

Penguins37

Great post guys I love when we have historic posts like this on the site.   :)

Towntalk

Actually there are 4 floors.

The 3rd floor was added to accomidate Arc Engraving which also had an artist dept on the 4th; Classified; Photographers; and Composing Room punch operators as well as the switchboard were also in the 3rd. floor as well as a file room. The morgue was on the 4th floor.

When the new building was completed, Arc Engraving moved over to the new building, and their space was turned into a computer room.

The window where the plaque was is the front stair well.

As to the 4th floor, it runs down the center of the building behind the tower so it can't be seen in the modern photos.

northside lurker

Apparently, a third floor was added.  There is a window where the plaque used to be.

I find it interesting that they removed the plaque, but went through the expense of extending the tower.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

By the way, the top of the tower is just a shell. It symbolized a lighthouse for Scripps-Howard.

Towntalk

You are right Rick, but at the time the picture was taken it was the Youngstown Telegram building.

The unusual part is the plaque on the tower which was the Scripps-Howard symbol. After the Vindicator purchased the Telegram, the symbol was removed.

Rick Rowlands

Its the Vindicator building.

kenneyjoe330

I LOVE this kind of guessing game.  I think I know the building.  It is unusual because it is "the ONLY ONE" and actually "the ONLY ONE" in more than just one way.  Am I correct in that statement.  And has there been an addition to that particular building that would make it just a little different if that picture were taken today ?

Towntalk

CLUES:

1. The building is still there.

2. The building is in daily use.

Towntalk

Can anyone name this building and what is unusual about it?