News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

National Day of Prayer Thursday May 6th Downtown 11am

Started by Lynds, May 04, 2010, 10:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: sfc_oliver on May 04, 2010, 06:27:57 PM
Fact is the only place where you will find any of the founding fathers mentioning the separation of church and state is in letters written by Thomas Jefferson to a church.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,"

Does the US Congress opening each session with a prayer violate this? I don't think so. National Prayer Day does not establish or even endorse any particular religion. Therefore not unconstitutional.

We have freedom of religion, the freedom to practice the religion of our choice. Without the Government preventing us from worshiping as we see fit or forcing a state religion upon us.
i do not like congress opening up with a prayer because they themselves never follow the law that they write for the usa residents. i do not care for organized religions or any religions being involved in the daily operations of OUR government. sarge keep your religious beliefs to yourself in your home and in your church bldg. but not in OUR daily operations in the usa government matters.

sfc_oliver

Quote from: iwasthere on May 04, 2010, 03:20:07 PM
i hope the supreme ct does not overturn their ruling. sarge remember we are a nation that believes in seperation of church and state. i do not appreciate that government agencies are allowed to use local, state and federal owned properties to promote religion on tax payers monies. >:(

Fact is the only place where you will find any of the founding fathers mentioning the separation of church and state is in letters written by Thomas Jefferson to a church.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,"

Does the US Congress opening each session with a prayer violate this? I don't think so. National Prayer Day does not establish or even endorse any particular religion. Therefore not unconstitutional.

We have freedom of religion, the freedom to practice the religion of our choice. Without the Government preventing us from worshiping as we see fit or forcing a state religion upon us.

<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

iwasthere

i hope the supreme ct does not overturn their ruling. sarge remember we are a nation that believes in seperation of church and state. i do not appreciate that government agencies are allowed to use local, state and federal owned properties to promote religion on tax payers monies. >:(

sfc_oliver

Quote from: iwasthere on May 04, 2010, 01:08:11 PM
LYNDS i thought the usa supreme court struck found it is unconstitutional for any government agencies to promote the day of prayer.

I believe that was a lower court. 9th circuit I believe. The Supreme Court will overturn their weak ruling.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

iwasthere

LYNDS i thought the usa supreme court struck found it is unconstitutional for any government agencies to promote the day of prayer.

jay

Lynds

The National Day of Prayer hosted by the City Prayer Team will take place Downtown Youngstown this Thursday May 6th from 11am to 2pm.