News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Gusher

Started by jay, September 20, 2009, 05:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

no one is calling them heroes but we can give them a compliment when one deserves it. why?town your posting come across crass for some of us on this forum. there are SOME city workers that deserves credit when it is due to them and these water dept guys are one of them. if this happen under gary thorton this gusher would have turned into a westside flood. ;D

Why?Town

I didn't realize these guys were friggin' heros. I'm sorry.

northside lurker

People are thanked all the time for doing their job.  Why should water dept. workers be exempt from praise?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

Of course the line should have been fixed ASAP.

I'm just saying that these guys were doing their job and being paid for it. I would expect nothing less.

iwasthere

my hat is off to john castano the water commissioner, who runs a tight ship in his department. if the city waited  until Monday there would have been mayhem on the westside concerning the lost of water and money down the drain for the ytown city residents.  why?town would you feel the same way if it was your water system down for the day?

jay

I don't believe the water department has crews sitting around on a Sunday just waiting for a call.  Sunday is their day off.  All of these men had to be called out.

As I see it, the water leak wasted thousands of dollars of water before it was repaired.  Also, the taxpayers of that neighborhood were without water for a few hours.  Should the "gusher" been allowed to continue until Monday morning when straight time workers could have handled it?

Why?Town

People doing the job they are paid for don't really impress me much.

People doing that same job for time and a half, double time, or maybe even double time and a half impress me even less.

Hats off or pockets pulled out?

jay

About 8:30 a.m. this morning, I discovered this massive water leak on S. Hazelwood Avenue on the west side of Youngstown.

About thirty-five minutes later, a City Water Department worker showed up to shut the fresh water valves above and below the leak.

A full repair crew was called out and started to repair the leak.  It wasn't long before the pipe was patched and water pressure restored.

So while many of us were sleeping, relaxing, going to church, or going to the golf course, our City Water Department workers responded on their day off to fix the problem.  Hats off to these employees.