News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown Playhouse

Started by Towntalk, January 06, 2009, 12:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

You make a good point there Jay, but how do you get people to change their habits? You can't put a gun to their heads and force them to patronize hometown businesses, and when it comes to businesses on the South Side, they have the added problem of crime plus deteriorated neighborhoods that in themselves present a bad image.

Look at how many times they've tried to open a supermarket on the South Side.
I know that at one time there were at least six supermarkets on that side of town and a number of speciality markets such as meat markets and nationality food stores, and look at how at one time Market street was full of all kinds of stores and restaurants that were family businesses.

Until the city can get a grip on the crime problem on the South Side, people will not risk investing in it or patronizing what businesses are there. The same is true with the East Side.

jay

Another problem facing city businesses and organizations is the fact that the residents of Youngstown are not loyal to their own city.  Many of my neighbors' lives revolve around shopping in the suburbs, dining in the suburbs, and recreating in the suburbs.

I have dined in several south side restaurants.   On many occasions, I have been the only customer in the business.

Towntalk

After some 50 years at its location, the Youngstown Playhouse is being driven out of its building thanks to the criminal element that is driving patrons away.

Theater faces final curtain

http://www.vindy.com/news/2009/jan/06/theater-faces-final-curtain/

Why couldn't the Playhouse have worked out an arrangement with DeYor to use Powers?

What will happen to the building once they leave? Given to the problems that the Playhouse faced, no other theater group will want to take over the building.

The Youngstown Playhouse is one of America's oldest community theater groups and it's a crime that they are being driven out of the city by self centered criminals.

The sad part of it is that the folks on the South Side are too fearful of the hoodlems to fight back. It's this very same reason why businesses don't want to locate on the South Side, and so long as crime is rampet there even more businesses will relocate elsewhere.