News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Is Youngstown Dying?

Started by jay, October 15, 2008, 06:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

kenneyjoe330

Yes - I watched the show !  What impressed me the most was that a greater majority of the calls were from Youngstown and a majority of those calls from the Eastside of Youngstown.  I was also impressed that the Mayor of Canton talked about presenting a UNIFIED front as North Eastern Ohio against not only the rest of the country but also globally - it makes a lot of sense to me.  There are a lot of people that drive an hour or more to work daily.  A good job in Cleveland or Akron can mean a lot to someone in Youngstown or the surrounding areas.
Did anyone else see the program and what did you think ?

northside lurker

Did anyone else watch the show?

As a Canton/Massillon native, I was pleasantly surprised to hear about their $1 BILLION in new development this year.

I was also disappointed that most of the Youngstown callers seemed so enthusiastic to say how terrible Youngstown was. (crime, unemployment, development of the downtown at the expense of the rest of the city, etc.)

[soapbox] It's my opinion that many people in the Mahoning valley lack perspective.  If more people would take a good, hard look at some of the other cities in this country, they would see that they don't have as much to complain about as they think.  How can this area ever hope to progress, if it's own residents believe the sensationalism reported by publications like Forbes? [/soapbox]
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

A special show about "Ohio's dying cities" will be aired on PBS this Friday.

Western Reserve Public Broadcasting
45/49
Friday, October 17
8:00 p.m.

If anyone would like to discuss the content of the show, please post your comments on the Forum.