News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Attention: Youngstown Activists

Started by jay, October 02, 2008, 12:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

QUESTION 1. How old is that map?
QUESTION 2. When was it last updated?
QUESTION 3. Who last updated the map?
QUESTION 4. Why wasn't a new on-sight survey taked?
QUESTION 5. Where can we get a larger copy of this map so that we can read it easily?

As Rick rigtly pointed out there are errors in the map that give us a distorted picture.

Rick Rowlands

That worthless map shows my property as being vacant, which it is not.  It also shows a few locations where I know there are ongoing businesses.  One is a railroad scrap yard.  I wonder what their definition of vacant is.

AllanY2525

Has the city been having any further successes in convincing people in nearly empty neighborhoods
to relocate elsewhere within the city, in order to expedite the process of cleaning out the
structures in their old neighborhoods?

Are they still offering people incentives, where they are the last few remaining occupants in
these areas?

jay

This is one of the maps on display at the press conference.  Notice how many vacant parcels are on the lower south side, east side and flanks of the north side.

Will these vacated areas become the green spaces of 2010?

jay

In my opinion, this press conference was well attended by members of the community.

P.S. - Five Forum members came out to show support for our city.

Defend Youngstown

Woops. I hit send prematurely on that last post. Here you go:

This is the first federal allocation of its kind (regarding demolition). The money comes from Housing and Urban Development (HUD). $260 million was allocated to the State of Ohio based on a formula created by HUD, however, there is no formula in place at the state level as to how these dollars were to be distributed. It was discretionary and the allocation Youngstown received (certainly in comparison to other urban centers in Ohio) was under funded, to say the least.

The effort now is two fold:

1. Short term: Lobby the state for more money through it's discretionary fund by making the argument that if Youngstown is able to receive nearly $10 million, the aprox 10 or 15 entire neighborhoods that make no sense to maintain any longer but yet create a great burden for the city to continue to absorb (as identified in the Youngstown 2010 Plan) can be completely eradicated and future demolition dollars for demolition in existing neighborhoods can be increased/stronger focus.

2. Create a formula (consistent w/ HUD principles) that the state can use so that discretion (i.e. political factor) can be eliminated (or minimized as best possible).

Important sidebar: An 8 month, 65 page, comprehensive Vacant Properties report on Youngstown (conducted by the National Vacant Properties Campaign www.vacantproperties.org) is nearly complete (I have read draft). It will greatly help aid with the education/organization piece attached to this effort (and future ones).

Defend Youngstown

This is the first federal allocation of it's kind (regarding demolition). The money comes from Housing and Urban Development (HUD). $260 million was allocated to the State of Ohio based on a formula created by HUD, however, there is no formula in place at the state level as to how these dollars were to be distributed. It was discresionary. With Youngstown - one of the areas hardest hit not only in the state but in the nation

The effort now is two fold:

1. Short term: Lobby the state for more money through it's discresionary fund by making the argument that if Youngstown is able to recieve nearly $10 million, the aprox 10 or 15 entire neighborhoods that make no sense to maintain any longer but yet create a great burden for the city to continue to absorb (as identified in the Youngstown 2010 Plan) can be completely eradicated and future demolotion dollars for demolition in existing neighborhoods can be increased/stronger focus.

2. Create a formula (consistent w/ HUD principles) that the state can use so that discresion (i.e. political factor) can be eliminated (or minimized as best possible).

Important sidebar: An 8 month, 65 page, comprehensive Vacant Properties report on Youngstown (conducted by the National Vacant Properties Campaign www.vacantproperties.org) is nearly complete (I have read draft). It will greatly help aid with the edcuation/organization peice attached to to this effort (and future ones).

Elmo-Ytown

I'm just wondering if Youngstown has ever gotten money for demo before, from the state or the feds.

Even if we don't get any more money, the amount we got should definitely be helpful.

northside lurker

Quote from: Elmo-Ytown on October 02, 2008, 10:07:30 PM
How much money do we normally get? Also, how much does it cost to demolish the average house/building?

I don't understand your first question.  I think the "Housing and Economic Recovery Act" is a one-time thing.

One of my co-workers has a side job with one of the demolition contractors who works with the city.  She tells me that, for the cheap demolition that is typically done, the cost is in the neighborhood of $7000.  But, the cost can vary alot depending on the house. (how big is the house, does it have a concrete or asphalt driveway, etc.)

If you want to demolish more than one house on a block per year, the cost to demolish increases.  This is because you would have to remove hazardous materials like asbestos.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Elmo-Ytown

How much money do we normally get? Also, how much does it cost to demolish the average house/building?

Mary_Krupa

AGENDA
Friday, October 3, 2008
717 Mineral Springs Avenue, Youngstown, Ohio 44511
11:00AM

Mahoning Valley Overlooked and Underfunded Again
Mahoning Valley receives needed funds for vacant properties... but not its fair share

1. Opening Remarks
  a. Eva Ladson, North Side Resident
  b. James London, President, Idora Neighborhood Association

2. Public Officials/Community Members
  a. William D'Avignon, Community Development Agency Director, City of Youngstown
  b. 1st Ward Councilwoman Annie Gillam, City of Youngstown
  c. Mayor Michael O'Brien, City of Warren
  d. Mary Krupa, Secretary, Seventh Ward Citizens Coalition
  e. State Representative Bob Hagan (D-Youngstown)
  f. Barb Ewing, Economic Development Coordinator, Office of Congressman Tim Ryan

3.  Question & Answer Session
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

jay

Youngstown Overlooked and Underfunded Again

City receives needed funds for vacant properties... but not its fair share

Press Conference
(in front of one of the city's many vacant properties)

Friday, October 3, 11:00 a.m.
717 Mineral Springs Avenue
Youngstown, Ohio

Youngstown has the highest foreclosure rate in the State of Ohio and the resulting abandonment of properties leaves the city blighted. Given this serious social and economic problem, it was very good news when the federal government passed the "Housing and Economic Recovery Act" of July 2008 --which provided billions of dollars to cash-strapped local governments to acquire, demolish or rehabilitate homes vacated due to foreclosure. Ohio is getting $260 million—of which Youngstown will get $2.7 million. These disbursements are based on a federal formula just announced this week.

Local community leaders, city officials, and state representatives say that formula doesn't make sense, and are demanding a larger share of state dollars.  They want to know why other Ohio cities—with much lower foreclosure rates—are getting more money.  Canton, for example, which is close in population to Youngstown and has a much lower foreclosure rate, is getting $ 3.6 million; nearly one million more dollars than Youngstown. Columbus, which is larger but has a foreclosure rate only 1/3 the size of Youngstown's, is getting a whopping $22 million.

Local community organizers say, when you divide the federal grants for each community by the number of homes in need of attention in each community, Youngstown's funding is the lowest in the state. Bottom line: Youngstown has the highest foreclosure rate but is getting the least amount of funding.  While it's too late to change the initial amount of the allocation, there is hope for more money to address the problem during a second round of funding. The state of Ohio received $116 million in discretionary money from the federal government and, it is hoped, a case can be made that a fair amount of those dollars must come to the community most in need: Youngstown.

Community leaders along with city and elected officials will hold a news conference to discuss obtaining additional funds. Among those confirmed to attend are CDA director Bill D'Avingnon, State Representative Hagan, and local community leaders.