News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Jay Williams... No Longer a Supporter

Started by ytowner, September 18, 2008, 08:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

The current state of Youngstown came about after several decades of economic decline - NONE
of which Jay Williams is responsible for.  To blame him for the deteriorated state of the
City of Youngstown, Ohio is just plain lunacy.

In the time since Jay Williams took office, Youngstown has made more progress in climbing
back up from the "bottom of the barrel" than it has in the prior THREE DECADES preceding
his term as Mayor of Youngstown.  Jay had a LOT to do with the highly acclaimed Youngstown
2010 plan, which started before he was even her Mayor.

Cities all over the world have sent delegates to Youngstown, to see for themselves all of
the things that the city has been doing RIGHT in recent times.  Although I am not as
well informed about the day to day happenings in Youngstown (as I am looking from the
outside in) it appears to me that the city is headed in the right direction, and that things
ARE, [albeit slowly] getting BETTER now.

As to whether or not Jay Williams is better or worse than any other Mayor the city has
ever had - I cannot speak on that issue one way or the other.  I can only voice my
opinions on what I have seen from the outside, as I left Youngstown over 20 years ago.
It is the renaissance of the 2010 plan that convinced me to start a business in
Youngstown - and Jay Williams had a LOT to do with that, whether he is a good mayor
or not.

:)

ForumManager

Just for the record...I didn't write the following lines
QuoteJay started this mess, so I am attacking him for it. He brought up the positive state of Wasilla, not me. He should not be attacking her for a good city, when he has a city which is a mess!

For some reason quoting of quoting doesn't work well.

rusty river

Quote from: YtownNewsandViews on September 24, 2008, 01:41:46 PM
Quote from: ForumManager on September 24, 2008, 12:34:14 PM
QuoteTAXES-INCOME-SCHOOLS-CRIME, All Good in Wasilla, All BAD IN YOUNGSTOWN!
This is like comparing apples and oranges.
Wasilla is comparable to a  suburb like Canfield, as noted.
High median income.
Isn't it basically suburban Anchorage? 40some miles away?
Alaska's  entire population is  comparable to our tri-county area.
Youngstown was already in its decline  when these cities were starting to boom.
The town of Wasilla was incorporated in 1974.
Apples and oranges.
Jay started this mess, so I am attacking him for it. He brought up the positive state of Wasilla, not me. He should not be attacking her for a good city, when he has a city which is a mess!

Isn't Wasilla referred to as the "Meth capital of Alaska" with 42 meth labs busted this year alone?
Doesn't Wasilla have one of the highest per capita violent- and property-crime rates in Alaska?
Didn't Palin leave the city with a large budget deficit after inheriting a budget surplus?
Didn't Palin raise the city's sales tax by 25%?
Didn't Palin increase Wasilla's government expenditures by 63% during her time as mayor?

Shouldn't this record concern fiscal conservatives????

ytowner

Quote from: ForumManager on September 24, 2008, 12:34:14 PM
High median income.
Apples and oranges.
Jay started this mess, so I am attacking him for it. He brought up the positive state of Wasilla, not me. He should not be attacking her for a good city, when he has a city which is a mess!

ForumManager

High median income.
Apples and oranges.

rusty river

Quote from: Towntalk on September 19, 2008, 08:28:26 PM
How much of his work as Mayor is he doing from his home?

Is that really an issue here? Probably not nearly as much as Palin did as governor....

Towntalk

How much of his work as Mayor is he doing from his home?

Elmo-Ytown

Jay Williams thinks it would be fun to be Mayor of Wasilla? Sounds like a plan to me! Let's put him on the next flight!

I would love to compare how much time he spent preparing for that speech to how much time he has spent posting on his blog this year.

I'm not angry that the man doesn't agree with me, he can have whatever opinion he wants, but if he wanted to rip on Palin he could have at least been factual, way to make Youngstown look good Mr. Mayor.

ytowner

Quote from: BondQoS on September 19, 2008, 11:52:40 AM
Cheap shot?

What Mayor Jay said is absolutely true. If McCain and Palin want to count her mayoral experience, then we have every right to question the validity of that experience. Would anybody here consider being Mayor of Canfield as experience to the presidency? I wouldn't.

And I'm not going to blame Jay for making the area look bad. If anyone here thinks Youngstown had a good reputation until the comments yesterday, I think you're gravely misinformed.
Last time I checked she was the Governor of the state of Alaska, not a mayor anymore. Tell me why Jay has any room to talk. He attacked her on the cities strengths, all weaknesses in our city. TAXES-INCOME-SCHOOLS-CRIME, All Good in Wasilla, All BAD IN YOUNGSTOWN!

MAYDAY FOR JAY

BondQoS

Cheap shot?

What Mayor Jay said is absolutely true. If McCain and Palin want to count her mayoral experience, then we have every right to question the validity of that experience. Would anybody here consider being Mayor of Canfield as experience to the presidency? I wouldn't.

And I'm not going to blame Jay for making the area look bad. If anyone here thinks Youngstown had a good reputation until the comments yesterday, I think you're gravely misinformed.

ytowner

Quote from: Towntalk on September 18, 2008, 10:59:52 PM
How the Media covered Biden's visit:

FOX - Mayorfight! Youngstown's Boss Disses Palin's Wasilla
http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/09/18/mayorfight-youngstowns-boss-disses-palins-wasilla/

CBS - Ohio Mayor Says Palin Doesn't Live In "Real World"
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/09/18/politics/fromtheroad/entry4459342.shtml

ABC - Another Biden Surrogate Rips Palin
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/biden-surrogate.html

Thanks Jay. Once again our area's image looks bad.
I certainly appreciate it!

Towntalk

sfc_oliver

<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

peg_flora

I went to the McCain rally at the airport, and saw a flag on the ground.

They must really hate America!

Towntalk

The very fact that the Democrats allowed Jay to introduce Biden should have told you something going in. And did you notice how Biden stumbled over Capri Cafaro's name? Golly gee bim, what is so difficult about Cafaro, the Valley's biggest name in Democratic politics.

I'll be you that Anthony and J.J. are on a first name basis with Biden, yet he stumbles over Capri's name. Would he have done that to Anthony or J.J.?