News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

West Side Community Organizing Strategy - September 10

Started by jay, September 10, 2008, 04:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

northside lurker

Thanks for the info Jay.

Block watches are a good idea because, at minimum, they promote community involvement.  They show that residents of a neighborhood care about where they live, and will not tolerate unacceptable behavior.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

A person from the Mahoning Valley Organizing Collaborative suggested the establishment of block watches throughout the west side.  Only two exist at this time. 

A public meeting will be held with all of the block watches and other interested citizens.  This meeting may be held at the ITAM Hall on Tuesday, October 21.

Active members will canvass the neighborhoods to identify problems and then focus on a solution for each problem.

northside lurker

OK, but this isn't really news, I hear about this at almost every block watch meeting.  Were any possible solutions discussed?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Almost everyone attending this meeting stated that the west side has been declining for the last ten years.
The main complaints involved drug dealing, burglaries, juvenile crime, housing code violations, trail bikes, vandalism, noise, public drunkenness and teens fighting in the streets.

northside lurker

I wanted to go, but I thought it was at 6 and so couldn't make it.  I guess I should have paid closer attention to the flyer. :(
--Thomas Edison

jay

Protect Your Community Values!!!

Come and join other community members from local block clubs, neighborhood associations, churches, schools and other groups to discuss a West Side Community Organizing Strategy.

Wednesday, September 10, 6:30 p.m.

2800 Oakwood Avenue
Youngstown, Ohio