News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Big changes at YSU

Started by kitten44505, June 03, 2005, 06:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan Pavalko

Also, virtually all the staff at YSU (both the beatnik and non-beatnik proffessors) do not want the core of campus changed. Why would the Board of Directors change somthing like this if a majority of staff and students don't want it?

Nathan Pavalko

You are actually quite right. Most of the decisions pertaining to anything at YSU are made by a Board of Directors, not the students. We as students can protest and have our student government not approve an event of a project, but the board can then go over the student governments head. I realize that there will be a park in smokey hollow, but that is in the hollow, not campus. It come down to the fact that a decision will be made without any consent from those that use it the most. Also, from the critical anylasis/historical point of view that I have I could see a time when there are no urban campus designs, and thus keeping YSU as it is would be a boot to its populatiry.

kitten44505

From what I've read, you will not be loosing anything, but you will be gaining, so what's the beef? Sometimes I think that you folks won't be happy unless you were in charge and had the final say on everything pertaining to YSU.

Nathan Pavalko

With all due respect, you are showing your age. But, that is besides the bpoint. . . . . The main complaint from both students and staff is that the urban design of the campus is one of the things that makes YSU unique, so why destroy it? I realize that there will be a park (Harrison Commons) in Smokey Hollow, but that is about 10 years down the road. Like I said, I have mixed feelings about the idea. I revelty brought a friend with me while I ran some errands on campus, and he had never been to YSU (he attends Clarion Univ.). The one thing he had to say of the school (YSU) was that he couldn't believe he was in Youngstown. He said it was as if he was in a suburban park.

kitten44505

Obviously YSU can't please everyone, but judging from the artists renderings of the plans for the Smokey Hollow, the very thing you are talking about is there and then some.

Now I realize that the park like atmosphere that is already there may not be sufficient for some, but I always thought the center of student activity is in the classroom or the library, not loafing around a park chewing on a blade of grass while in the background some half stoned poet recites verses to the music of bongo drums --- opps, I'm showing my age, but seriously, if you have been following the news, you would have known that the Smokey Hollow area is going to have everything you wished for and then some. Take a gander at their web site, http://wickneighbors.org and tell us if the plans for Smokey Hollow are pleasing enough for you, or would you like to see even more Green Space. Perhaps demolish a building or two to create a park that would rivel Mill Creek Park.

Nathan Pavalko

Though YSU is greatly improving theis surrounding areas, they have plans in the works to create a "Great Lawn" in the core of campus. I have mixed feelings aobut this. The "park-like setting" of campus is a great asset and many other urban campus designs have gone by the way-side. But, I would like to see an area for students to congrigate at. What are some of the your feelings on this? I'd like some feedback

kitten44505

[size=9]THREE CHEERS AND A TIP OF THE HAT TO EVERYONE THAT IS STEPPING FORWARD TO IMPROVE OUR BELOVED CITY.[/size]
[/u][/b]

HOWS THAT?

ytowner

They are building a new parking lot on the north side of University Plaza and the eastern side of Bryson...

You should also add Youngstown Ursuline is in great works with the city. They have a city civic club and when i called a member they last went on a walk through downtown.

Among their guests was the city planner of development and a member of the EASTGATE COUNCIL OF GOVERNMENTS.

they may begin major projects with city next year.

KUDOS TO THEM!

kitten44505

Campus Improvement Project Begins At YSU
[/b]
$1.5 MILLION PROJECT BEGINNING AT YSU
[/b]

A major project will soon begin as the first step in creating a campus main street that will extend from Smokey Hollow west to Fifth Avenue.

The project will also include the beautification of the YSU parking lots along Wick Avenue.

kitten44505

SOME BIG CHANGES AT YSU
[/u][/b]

Some big changes are slated for YSU that will add greatly to downtown Youngstown. Among the changes will be an effort to intigrate the campus into the immediate neighborhoods.

With YSU's track record so far we can expect some very good things happening. All of us owe a deep debt of gratitude to the University for it's commitment to the city.

Saddly the same can not be said for certain other institutions that have been mentioned in other posts today.