News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Yo. Police Dept. Looking for More Minority Applicants

Started by Rick Rowlands, February 15, 2008, 08:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaime Hughes

I understand what your saying about this Rick, and I think that they took a wrong approach in this situation. But I know many officers on the YPD and its almost upsetting to hear them talk about their everyday job and the horrible things that entale. I can understand why they would want to hire minorities for the position, I know a caucasion cop and he says when responding to a call of a minority he often (not always) runs into trouble that stemmed from something small.. he said that often its because hes "not one of them", my friend Corey on the other hand knows an african american cop and he said most times (not always) he responds to a minority call and they don't give him as much trouble.

I think its a good idea that they call for minorities, because thats a big part of the city and most of them respond better.

I hate hearing their stories because many of the cops started out really...dedicated and devoted to helping Youngstown and fighting crime, then after numerous and redundant criminal activities that they face many times a day.

our2cents

It is Civil Service based testing for a job...and the best qualified wins...by law.  Now if there was someone tied with someone else, then the final interviewers could make a final decision off the record.  Just because they advertise for more minority applicants, does not mean that is who is going to be in the final test scoring.  They must make it totally public and advertise to cover their butts to whoever they think is not going to be applying...which is usually the "minority applicants".  They currently have posted the position on vindyjobs.  They actually prefer ex-military and those that have a valid OPATA certificate...

CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION OF YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO - Police Officer, Youngstown Police Department - Starting Salary $35,123.92. Must be at least 21 years of age and be able to obtain a valid Ohio driver's license. Each applicant considered for appointment will be subject to a complete background investigation, and the following: (1) A POLYGRAPH TEST/VOICE STRESS ANALYSIS (LIE DETECTOR); (2) A PSYCHOLOGICAL TEST; (3) DRUG TESTING; (4) CREDIT REPORT; (5) EMPLOYMENT HISTORY. Must be a resident of the City of Youngstown within 30 days following completion of the one-year probationary period. Examination Bonus Points are available for the following qualifications: 10% -Ohio Peace Officer Training Certificate (Copy of valid OPATA certificate required) 20% -Military Veterans - Honorable Discharge (Copy of DD-214 required). Applications accepted at Youngstown Civil Service Commission Office, 7th Floor, City Hall, 26 S. Phelps St., Youngstown, Ohio from March 10, 2008 through March 21, 2008. The written exam will be given on Saturday, April 5, 2008, starting at 10:00 A.M. Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.

Rick Rowlands

I heard on the news the other day that the City is looking for more minority applicants to the police force.  That brings me to ponder, is what we now call diversity actually just plain old racism that has been reinvented and repackaged?  I must have been mistaken when I read MLK's speech about judging a person not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Isn't the Police dept. judging by the color of a person's skin?

Why do I keep being fed the BS that "racism is bad" but racism given another name, "diversity" is good?

Am I still stuck in the Bizarro world???

Rick

PS I would bet that if we had a race of people with GREEN skin they would now be getting all the choice jobs!