News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

What, if anything, was different?

Started by northside lurker, November 11, 2007, 07:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: Maggy on November 12, 2007, 11:44:26 AM
To Westsider:

Could it be that there were more patrol officers on the streets in the two lowest years for homicides?
That seems logical to me.  Were there more patrol officers on the streets then?

According to city-data.com, there are only 2.16 officers per 1000 people in Youngstown, and the US city average is 3 officers per 1000 people.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Maggy

To Westsider:

Could it be that there were more patrol officers on the streets in the two lowest years for homicides?

Rick Rowlands

I wish the statistics would break down the murders by race, social status, motive, gang involvement etc. so an informed discussion could be had.  Otherwise they are just meaningless numbers.

Towntalk

http://www.city-data.com/city/Youngstown-Ohio.html

The above web site gives a whole lot of information about our city including the crime rate from 1999 to 2006.

jay

With seven more weeks to go before the end of the year, I hope our city doesn't record another murder.

northside lurker

While researching this for another site, I found the number of murders for each year since 2000.

32 murders in 2006
34 murders in 2005
23 murders in 2004
19 murders in 2003
33 murders in 2002
34 murders in 2001
32 murders in 2000

What, if anything, was different in 2003 and 2004?  I was a Youngstown resident by then.  But I wasn't really interested in the city or its welfare at that point.

Also, does anyone have this information from previous years?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison