News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Closing Phelps Street

Started by JoyceFarrell, May 14, 2018, 04:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

I'm all for closing this one block of Phelps.

Before the project fell through, the developer of the restaurant that was going into the first floor of the Wick Building was counting on the street eventually being closed. They wanted to open to the street, like Suzie's, and had plans to utilize the outdoor space, similar to the restaurants on E. 4th St. in downtown Cleveland.

Comparing this to the closure of Federal St. is comparing apples and oranges.  One is one block of a one lane, one way, street, and the other is a main thoroughfare.  If they do close Phelps, it might be a good idea to make Hazel a 2-way street, though.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rushblvd

V2 would probably enjoy the street closing when the holiday parties start they usually block off Phelps with a tent...
Believe me, I am all for progress in the downtown area, but they need to look at all sides of this issue. It saddens me that V2 would not want to accommodate all their patrons, disabled or non-disabled...

Why?Town

And now it seems due to internet taking over paper we can get multiple articles from the same paper several times a day.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/feb/11/phelps-street-project-will-be-worth-the-/

And a co-owner of V2 Wine Bar thinks it's great! Of course he does have some front door parking and I'm sure he's not a bit concerned about the other businesses there, especially somewhat competitive Suzies.

Why?Town

I just looked at this on the google maps and clicked the little satellite square to take a look.

I know the pictures shown aren't necessarily from last week, I'm sure they are accurate enough.

I see a couple of trucks that seem to be delivering, possibly to Suzie's Dogs & Drafts or maybe to the couple of delivery entrances across from Suzie's.

While that section of street is only one block long, it is really about 3/4 of N. Phelps St. that is downtown. The remaining 1/4 is a dead end just north of W Commerce St. The dead end leads to two additional entrance/exits to two parking lots and to an outdoor staircase going up towards YSU. Considering that both lots would still be accessible from W. Commerce St. without change and the staircase is already a pedestrian only "zone" I certainly wouldn't have a problem with closing it to vehicles.

As for the block they're considering closing, I don't think closing it will create any more traffic flow issues than the fact that it a one way street. But I'm sure it will have an effect on businesses there.

I can't help but think of Forrest Gump's mother's statement "Stupid is as stupid does".  I guess we'll wait see if the city leaders end up with it applying to them.

Rushblvd

Leave it open....Its a side street that is much needed for traffic flow--The business owners should be furious over this idea...I have attended many things at Suzies and V2, and I have brought people that are handicap. It makes it easy when I can drive practically right up to the business door and drop-off..What the heck is wrong with the City...ACLU you may need to step in

JoyceFarrell

Since the main street leading to the new Amphitheater is Phelps Street would the closing of Phelps between West Federal and West Commerce Streets cause a traffic flow problem? I agree with Jay. Keep it open.

jay

Keep North Phelps Street open!

Why?Town

How can this city be run by people that obviously don't have enough brain function to remember how great this worked for Federal St?

JoyceFarrell

The city is looking at permanently closing Phelps Street between West Federal and West  Commerce Street.

http://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/youngstown-considering-closing-downtown-road-to-traffic/1178551168