News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Street Report

Started by jay, February 14, 2007, 07:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

What a bunch of whiners and complainers!  If you haven't noticed people there was 6 to 8 inches of snow on the ground and the plows can only do so much.  It has to be pushed somewhere and its going to get piled up next to the streets and on the sidewalks.  Its not about being careless its is about efficiently handling the massive amounts of snow.

Shirley

This is the corner of Winchester & Mahoning Ave.  I was at the stop sign and had a hard time trying to pull out onto Mahoning Ave.

yfdgricker

The snowplow came down my street Wednesday around 3ish! I was actually kinda surprised. Usually we get plowed a few days after it snows. I did have to dig out the lower portion of my driveway so I wouldn't get stuck trying to get out. The street is at least passable.

ForumManager

I drove my son to school this AM and we were late because we were stuck in a pile left by a snow plow.
I saw many other people stuck at intersections. An abandoned  car was cockeyed on the off ramp on 422/Belmont and I was worried if I slowed down too much going around it that I'd be stuck on the icy  slope as well.
The roads are a sheet of ice under the snow.
I was surprised that there was school when the streets are not cleared.
No complaints from me about the removal... they do what they can...
but how does the BOE expect kids to get to school in zero degree weather with snow piled everywhere.  Many walk.
Is it such a big deal that they need to go to school a few days more in June?? ...
The safety of our kids is important enough to keep buses and children off of the ice.

connie254

Quote from: jay on February 14, 2007, 07:42:51 PM
Just a few comments about the snow removal

It took hours to dig ourselves out today.

Saw many cars stuck and then abandoned on the streets overnight

Some cars haven't been moved in weeks. The plows just went around them

I helped to dig out two cars today.   The city snow plow would not clear the street if a car was blocking any portion if it.

As of 7:00 p.m., many side streets in Youngstown have still not been plowed.

My street got done at 3:30.  But on the way to work, I saw many streets not touched.

Why do some people with snow blowers choose to throw the snow into the street?

That's not their problem. (Apathy).The curb lanes of South Ave were blocked with the piles of snow from the businesses that were plowed out.I thought it was illegal to do this.  But then again, what happens to the cars parked on the street during a parking ban?

Why do drivers clearing parking lots bury the sidewalks along the street?

I couldn't even tell where my sidewalk was and I shoveled it two days ago.  The people that should use it and walking the the middle of the street all year long, so why should a one person per block change all that?

Mary

It 8:45 here and we have not had a snow plow yet. I know they are busy but there is NO way my kids bus is going to make it up my street in the morning. I think they have done a pretty good job on the main streets.

My boyfriends brother got stuck last night coming home from work and my boyfriend  had to go did him out. Thankfully my car made it but he seen 3 cars stuck(he was stuck about a mile away from us). He offered to help 2 of them but they said they were OK just waiting on a tow truck! 

As for people who use snowblowers i think the city should be able to fine them. they are creating a dangerous situation for everyone.!

Shirley

I agree. Some of the sidewalks are so buried you have to go into the street if you are walking. I am just waiting for the snowplow to go down my street so I can do the approach to the driveway before I have to leave for work in the morning. There were at least 3 cars stuck in the street this morning. I had a hard time getting to Oakwood. Hopefully tomorrow will not be as bad.

jay

Just a few comments about the snow removal

It took hours to dig ourselves out today.

Saw many cars stuck and then abandoned on the streets overnight

I helped to dig out two cars today.   The city snow plow would not clear the street if a car was blocking any portion if it.

As of 7:00 p.m., many side streets in Youngstown have still not been plowed.

Why do some people with snow blowers choose to throw the snow into the street?

Why do drivers clearing parking lots bury the sidewalks along the street?