News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Disclosure of student information by school systems

Started by ForumManager, November 18, 2006, 09:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

I have received the internet permission form - the medical forms, but not this. 
I have lived here 20 years and have had kids attending in the district that long.
I save everything.  It is not  in the school papers any where. 
Were they sent home or did they come in the mail?
This notice has no business coming home with the kids.
Some teachers don't pass out everything and students lose things.
This should have come in the mail.
We get info about other BOE things in the mail all the time in two languages.

I feel that you should not be required  to opt out EVERY YEAR... I feel you should be  ASKED to opt in.
This is an invasion of privacy. 
This forum has a more strict privacy policy then the schools.

And what about the recruiters?  If a child is 18  and is eligible to register for the draft, perhaps disclosure  might be acceptable...  but I still feel uncomfortable about it.  It is a law that they hand over our children's info?  That is just wrong. They call and call and inundate us with mail and recently  even tried to trick one of my kids with a handwritten note about a possible scholarship.

our2cents

We have received a copy every year for our children during the first week.  It came along with the Internet Permission form and other paperwork.  It was file thirteened.  We never read it until you pointed that out.  It is definitely something to keep in mind.

ForumManager

On the following link to the YCS website is an annual notice to parents.
ln all the years that my children have gone to YCS, I have NEVER received this notice.

http://www.ycsd.k12.oh.us/DepartmentPages/CommunitySupportAndPublicRelations/AnnualNoticeToParents.html

This section bugs me:

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a Federal law, requires that your school district, with certain exceptions, obtain parental or adult student consent prior to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from your child's educational records. However, the district may disclose appropriately designated "directory information" without written consent, unless you have advised the District to the contrary in accordance with District procedures identified in this newsletter. The primary purpose of directory information from your child's educational records is for use in certain school publications, such as the yearbook, honor roll, graduation programs, etc.

Directory information, which is information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if released, can also be disclosed to outside organizations without a parent's prior written consent. Outside organizations include, but are not limited to, companies that manufacture class rings or publish yearbooks.

In addition, two federal laws require your school district to provide military recruiters, upon request, with three directory information categories – names, addresses, and telephone listings – unless parents have advised the school that they do not want their student's information disclosed without their prior written consent.

If you do not want your school district to disclose directory information from your child's educational records, including disclosure for all marketing activities without your prior written consent, you must notify the District in writing by October 1.

Your school district has designated the following information as directory information:

1. Student's name

2. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports

3. Address

4. Telephone listing

5. Weight and height of members of athletic teams

6. Electronic mail address

7. Photograph

8. Degrees, honors, and awards received

9. Date and place of birth

10. Major field of study

11. Dates of attendance

12. Grade level

13. The most recent educational agency or institution attended

They stated to us when we were  helping children design webpages that even vague information such as their favorite song or movie  could be  used by stalkers and the webpages could not stay online .... no identifying information was ever used.  We wouldn't even allow the kids to say where they went to church or what boy scout pack they were in.

And here they are giving the information to marketing companies. Names -- addresses -EVERYTHING.
EVEN THEIR EMAIL.  Couldn't there be stalkers working at those companies?