News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Guess Who Has Returned From Vacation?

Started by jay, September 17, 2013, 08:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Councilwoman Annie Gillam, D-1st, said she strongly opposes excluding inmates from the ward count, and already complained about the changes to her ward, which includes the relocation of the private prison and her home to the 2nd Ward.
Vindicator August 13, 2013

Towntalk

Towntalk

Towntalk

2240 Hubbard Road
Youngstown, OH 44505

jay

QuoteGillem is from the First Ward my friend, not the Second.

Please check the location and ward status of the CCA prison on Hubbard Road.

Towntalk

By the way ... the Board of Elections would have a whole lot to say since prisoners can't vote and therefor are not regestered voters.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/sourcefiles/ohio-code-felon-voting-2012.pdf

Towntalk

Gillem is from the First Ward my friend, not the Second.
Even if she gets her way, what good will it do her ... they can't vote, and there's precious little that she can do for them. She has no authority over them, and the Warden can tell her to buzz off if she tries to interfere. It's a private prison that only answers to the State and Feds.
The same holds true with the Second Ward Councilman ... the prisoners there can't vote, and there's nothing he can do for them ... it a State Prison answerable only to State authorities.
So what's the big deal?
It seems to me that this is just a big ego trip on their part.

jay

The councilwoman from the second ward wants the prisoners counted.  The inmates would make up almost 30% of her ward's population if the wards were redrawn to hold about 9,000 residents each.

AllanY2525

Are they still trying to count prisoners as voters?

jay

The first thing they will do is waste money on another ward redistricting map.

Towntalk

jay

Wednesday, September 18

Guess who has returned from summer vacation?