News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Question For Youngstown Residents

Started by jay, February 23, 2012, 09:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Absolutely no nay no a thousand times no. What is a Notary Public but a person who can sign and seal papers for compensation, and it's not a task that would take any time away from being a Mayor. Any blame fool can be a Notary Public ... there's no greater requirements than that the person can read and write.

jay

From Section 4 of the Youngstown City Chart

The Mayor shall not hold any other public office, except that of notary public. 

Questions

Does "public office" mean an elected position or any job in government?

"Notary Public" is not an elected position but can it be considered a public job?

jay

I believe the position of Mayor of Youngstown is the only one that prohibits holding another government job.

I'll check the charter to verify.

Towntalk

Certainly not ,,, how could a street department worker do his job and hold down an elective office?

Unless I'm mistaken when a city worker runs for an elective office, he has to give up his job, but I don't know if this would apply to Council.

jay

Possible Charter Question

Should anyone employed in a government job be prohibited from holding an elective office in the City of Youngstown at the same time?

Some call this double dipping