News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

We're Not Sending Our Children To East

Started by jay, April 04, 2011, 08:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our2cents

Safety is an idea.  It is what in the kids brains and thoughts that make them feel safe.  If a kid is a block from home and can escape a riot situation to home, they sure feel safer...even with violence in their school.  I know that first hand when I was in school years ago.  We had a violent situation happen, and the only kids that continued to feel unsafe were those away from their home neighborhoods.

Re-organization can happen, but you don't snatch away local schools in the name of it.  If you want a Magnet school setup (arts, law, whatever), then you create a dedicated building...but you still must keep parents concerns & wants in mind...and 99% of them want a local school for their kids.

They did not do this in any way.  And they will still have violence...it has now been moved by bus to East High as of next year.  So, many good kids, that aren't into arts and such, will end up in a violent environment...possibly more violent than now.  That tends to happen when you move more gangs into another gang's territory. 

I now know of 20 additional students that have officially been accepted into other districts OE programs.  And 10 weren't even in HS yet!

northside lurker

I must say I'm confused by the negative reactions to this reorganization.  Until now, the biggest drawback I've heard is the loss of sports tradition in YCS.

East is a new school, and Chaney is--essentially--a new school, so it's not like the facilities in one are much better than the other.  If violence was their concern, then they probably wouldn't have sent their kids to Chaney, either.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

our2cents

Or if you're stuck in your home in Youngstown because you can't sell it or something...just sign them up for Open Enrollment in the neighboring districts.  Parents just need to do a little looking if they really want it bad enough...it's there. 

Penguins37

If you were committed to giving your child a high quality education wouldn't you just move out of Youngstown to somewhere like Poland?

jay

Several parents at the Youngstown Schools reorganization meeting tonight stated that We're Not Sending Our Children To East.  Violence was the main reason for the rejection of the plan to send some students to East High School for the business, education and law curriculum.  More than one parent said that they will move their family out of the school district to avoid sending their children to East.