News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Question for City Council

Started by Towntalk, July 18, 2010, 01:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

i had a great laugh when one of the bloggers tried to put righetti and swierz on the same plateau as effective council rep. i will repeat again what the pres of ytown city council said to my nieghbor's husband concerning carol righetti effectiveness as a ytown rep. his reply was that she is the most clueless council rep he ever encounter during his tenure in council. if people are up in arms about this statement refute my statement and put me in my place. i am just repeating what my neighbor told me. as for a vote from me for righetti as county commsionier it WILL BE A COLD DAY IN HELL THAT I WILL VOTE FOR HER OR ANY OF HER CRONIES FROM COUNCIL. SHE LOVES TO STRETCH THE TRUTH ABOUT HER VOTING RECORD. JUST ASK MAGGY AND OTHERS ON THIS FORUM.

our2cents

Quote from: westsider on July 21, 2010, 01:04:13 PM
She seems to work hard representing her constituents.
I try to give her respect for the fact that at times she has jumped to help, such as with the Library.  But in the case of trying to have guardrails put up on the SE corner of N Hazelwood & Oakwood have gone without response...both from her and the street department.  There was a crash on 7/2 that went through the corner and into the house.  The kids of the neighborhood used to play tag and such around those houses...and luckily they weren't that day or they would have been killed.  Then if you look back, there have been multiple cars into the corner poll, and a van rollover accident.  Most of these are high speed as people try to use Oakwood as a freeway heading to 680 and don't bother stopping for the red light.  And of course the fatalities that have already happened over the past few years.  A guardrail would have slowed the car and at least have given a chance for pedestrians to move out of the way.  The NE corner is guardrailed and has stopped many cars from going into that house as well.  Why won't anyone respond to this?  The officer that day even said the city needs to get up the guardrails and maybe a traffic cam would be nice.  They are sick of coming to accidents that are sometimes with severe injuries and/or fatalities.

So, why won't anyone pick up a phone & respond?  Or just get someone out here like now to put in the guardrails at the least.  K, I'm done with my rant.

northside lurker

To be fair to council, I'm not sure some of them are that technically savvy.  The 4th ward councilwoman has been very good at attending block watch meetings. (though a little less so in the last several months)  She seems to work hard representing her constituents.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Thanks for the info. A real eye opener.

DefendYoungstown

I think what Steve is getting at is that Councilman Swierz is most likely the only councilperson to use/communicate on this or any other similar site due to the fact that he is very proactive and is looking to actually engage his constituency. The members of the board can draw their own conclusions as to why other councilpersons might not be so inclined. I, too, will leave it at that. 

Rick Rowlands

I don't understand your reply Steve.

our2cents

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on July 18, 2010, 09:16:49 AM
Wouldn't it be great if all city council members participated in this forum? 

Yes, maybe then we could get help and answers on issues.  And not ignored phone calls like our neighbor experienced...especially when they have to do with kids safety from car accidents on Oakwood and N Hazelwood.  I'll leave it at that.

john r. swierz

It would be a dull world if we all agreed  all the time.   I really enjoy my job  and I enjoy helping anyone when and where I can.  And guess what, I know that I  make mistakes  once and a while.  My guide is " if you make a mistake when trying to do something and it doesn't work out (to  err is human) however its bad if you  make a mistake and could have prevented it because you had the knowledge"

Rick Rowlands

I concur.  I may not see eye to eye with you on all issues John, but I respect you very much and wish more elected officials would show the same dedication that you do.

Towntalk

And given the amount of work they already have this would be a waste of time I suspet. Thanks for the information John, you are a really dedecated city official, and my hat is off to you for your hard work.

john r. swierz

Your example of the Mayors Court is and example of laws made pre Home Rule Charter, therefore they would/could not be used.

john r. swierz

As to the single ordinance  repealing  all of them, probably not.  The job of  looking up and preparing the ordinances would be in the hand of the City Clerks office.

Towntalk

John, I realize that Council is extremely busy dealing with today immediate problems, but couldn't someone (an intern even) revisit these old and obsolete laws so that they can be taken off the books at one time under a single ordinance?

Example: are the sections on a Mayors Court still technically on the books because those sevtions were never repealed?

john r. swierz

ytown shrimp - When the citizens of the 7th Ward elect me as their council member they are giving me the power to carry out the duties in the legislative branch.  That means that they  are trusting me to work on their behalf.

john r. swierz

City Council makes and passes legislation and then the adminisration through its various depts and divisions enforce it.