News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

BUCKEYE PARK CLEANUP AND SIGN DEDICATION

Started by iwasthere, May 08, 2010, 01:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Rick Rowlands

The info. is available at www.todengine.org   Thanks.

Shirley

Mary_Krupa

How does one become a member of the Youngstown Steel Heritage Foundation?
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

DefendYoungstown

Rick,

Thank you once again for your assistance (labor, donation of tools/paint/gas/chemicals). So greatly appreciated. I look forward to volunteering at the Tod Engine Park. I also just purchased a membership to the Youngstown Steel Heritage Foundation.

http://www.todengine.org/

iwasthere

Quote from: john r. swierz on May 16, 2010, 09:05:40 PM

I too was not satisfied by the unfinished job, I will let Mr. Whitehead know that tomorrow. You must realize that with a reduced work force the time in between
cuts will increase.
i was told by a finance dept worker that the park dept does not want to rehire these park dept parttime workers this year. so they can hire new ones next year because their contract states if they are called back this year they are eligible for next year's employment. if they are not called out this year it eliminates this option for next year's employment status. i was told park dept is not too keen on these employees due to their job performances in the past.

john r. swierz

I would guess 500 or more empty lots thoughout the city

Towntalk

John, I see 3 and sometimes 4 mower tractors running up and down Elm Street several times a week during the mowing season. Are there so many lots to be mowed by the city that this is necessary, or should their scheduling be looked at so that they could go elsewhere? This is not a complaint but just a question.

john r. swierz

I too was not satified by the unfinished job, I will let Mr. Whitehead know that tomorrow. You must realize that with a reduced work force the time in between
cuts will increase.

Rick Rowlands

My wild guess is around 20 people.  If the Parks Dept. follows our lead and 1) finishes mowing the field and 2)keeps it mowed, then yes I'll come back to finish spraying the fence if there is another work party.  If the grass isn't maintained then whats the use in doing any more work there.  I was quite disappointed that the Parks Dept. only mowed half of the baseball field on Friday.

Mary_Krupa

How many people showed up and are there any plans to finish the painting?  Also, does anyone need Time Bank credit?  I can verify your work if you do, let me know.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Rick Rowlands

We had a great time at the clean up.  I brought along one of our Tod Engine volunteers to help. I loaded my truck up with a lawn mower, weedeater, chain saw, three gallons of weed killer, generator and paint sprayer.  The work party painted the new fence, sprayed the weeds (and poison ivy) along the outfield fence, cut some branches in the woods along the trail and cleaned up a bunch of trash.

Rick Rowlands

I talked to Chris and I will pick up the mulch tomorrow.  Supposed to be warm and sunny on Saturday, so maybe if we hit it hard we'll accomplish all of the objectives. Thanks for the offer of the dump truck Ron, but the trailer will do ok.

Mary_Krupa

I am on the 7WCC board and am a member of the Powerstown Neighbors group. Thank you to everyone for your generosity and help. It really makes me feel good to see this kind of wonderful response. I normally would be there but I have to attend my aunt's funeral otherwise I would thank you in person.

The fence was installed last August so there should have been some oxidation by now especially in this climate.

Again, THANK YOU!

Mary

PS  I wrote the following yesterday under Volunteer Opportunities originally posted by Defend Youngstown:

Thanks, Phil, for posting this.

The Buckeye Park clean-up really needs your help. We have been discussing this for months and finally we have a day to improve this asset. The city installed some new fencing (after we begged them to) but it does not match the old fencing and we need to paint it. Also, we will be doing a general clean up.

Our parks are a very important part of the livability of our city.  Please come even if just for an hour. Lunch will be served.

One of this forum's members has very generously offered to help including bringing his truck and painting equipment!  A gigantic thank you in advance!

Also, any Time Bank member helping out can get credit through me since my block watch, Powerstown Neighbors/Snoop Block Watch is a Time Bank member.

Mary
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Youngstownshrimp

Rick,
Great, maybe the dump truck was overkill but it has the advantage of dumping the mulch where needed without shoveling so much.

JRS,

I'm tied up digging ponds but if you still need a backhoe in June, I maybe able to deliver.  If you need the dump truck to haul away debris and wood I can station the dump truck at the park for filling up Saturday, call me if you like.