News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown Residency Rules Relaxed

Started by jay, September 17, 2009, 06:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

Thanks Jay! I'm honored.

Allen,

Was tax collection the reason for the residency requirement? I thought it had more to do with city employees to showing a sense of community and having the safety forces handy for big emergencies.

If property and sales tax collection (no income tax in the townships) was the reason, should we have mandated that Youngstown employees only own property and purchase goods within Mahoning county?

AllanY2525

While I understand the city's need for the income tax revenues,
etc. I think that city employees should be able to live where
they want..within Mahoning County.

That way, they are still paying county taxes..and Youngstown
IS, after all, the seat of Mahoning County.

jay

Why?Town

I think a better approach would be to improve the city to the point that most people (public AND private employees) would want to live there.

jay

Last night Youngstown City Council voted to relax the city's residency rules to allow employees to live anywhere in Mahoning County or adjoining Ohio counties.  This brings the city in line with a recent Ohio Supreme Court decision.

As a resident of Youngstown, would you want the city to pursue legislation on the state level to reimpose residency for all city employees?