News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Last Chance To Save The West Side Library - Today, June 11

Started by jay, June 11, 2009, 06:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

Rick I now live in Lowellville and they closed ours down several years ago. It's a Funeral home now. So for a community of this size we have one convenience store, zero gas stations, zero libraries, and I believe 3 funeral homes.

Maybe someone knows something we don't.

We had four Churches but someone took over one of them as a private residence
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Rick Rowlands

Sure that would be nice, but reality has to be taken into account.  The library system will be short $2 million this year, and shutting down West will go a long way toward bridging the gap.  I think the Struthers consolidation will be next as it should be.

Perhaps you inner city people should think of this from the perspective of someone like me who lives out in the "hinterland".  I have always lived in Hubbard Township, and it is farther from my house to the Hubbard library that it is the distance between the Main and Austintown libraries.  Somehow all of us "hicks" who don't live in the big city seem to be alright with having just our one small library, so why must inner city people have libraries at every corner?

sfc_oliver

Maybe I grew up spoiled only 2 blocks from the South side Library. But I still believe all school aged children should have a Library close enough to get to easily.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Rick Rowlands

The west branch library is a mone loser.  It is located between two excellent libraries with large patronage, Main and Austintown. Use one of those larger, better equipped libraries. Stop complaining and allow the library to take the actions neccessary to preserve the entire library system. 

our2cents

There were a handful of people there, but I guess they're giving it a 2 month hold.  There were all the news crews theres also.  The boardman branch is large and a nice branch...It was definitely far enough away that most west siders would not have been there.  The news reporter Mandy Hackman said they were putting up a fight and it looked crowded, so our family left since it was wrapping up.

I would hope they rebuild West at some point after seeing Boardman.  They built a new East.

jay

Today, Thursday, June 11, is the last chance for west side residents to prevent the West Side Branch Library from being closed.  The Mahoning County Library Board will meet at 4:00 p.m. to decide the library's fate so please attend.

The board will meet at the
Boardman Branch Library
7680 Glenwood Avenue
Boardman Township