News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The Awnings Of Youngstown

Started by jay, March 14, 2009, 06:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

i have been to several cleanups in this city and Annie Gilliam and john swierz are the only ones there for these events. where are the other city officials esp council and pres of council that are collecting $28,000 plus benefits, which does not count their day jobs too. my neighborhood is the city not the blvd blockwatch area. there are several concern citizens that are at many numerous events that does not include their ward in which they parttake in that daily endeavor for that such ward. why cannot these inds. that i mentioned do the same thing too.

john r. swierz

We are all in this together, if we want a better city there is nothing wrong with the citizens partnering with the government.

iwasthere

it seems that the mayor's adminstrations dept heads want the ytown citizens to do their job that they were appointed to after this mayor was elected as a charity donation towards the city's coffers.

DefendYoungstown

P.S. If you haven't read the book "Why the Garden Club Couldn't Save Youngstown", you really should. In my opinion, every elected, non-profit, or general civic leader who is involved or interested in this community should take Mr. Safford's research to heart. You can order on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Club-Couldnt-Save-Youngstown/dp/0674031768

For a cliffnotes review (by orgtheory.net):
http://orgtheory.wordpress.com/2009/05/08/not-your-fathers-network-analysis/

DefendYoungstown

I agree with Rusty. What is needed is a organized, systematic approach to accumulating inventory data regarding the commercial corridors. This data then needs to be presented on behalf of an organized group (ex. ACE) to Sean. Monthly status meetings with this group need to follow. In a city like Youngstown where there are so many needs and limited personnel and resource, we, as citizens, need to line up the work/create the agenda. It is then incumbent on the city to then meet us half way. Individual complaints stand a much lesser chance to produce desired results. Organization is essential. That is the reality of living in Youngstown.

john r. swierz

Jay , I hope you noticed that JQ's on South at E Judson removed their damaged awning.

john r. swierz

Midlothian at Cottage Grove. I trust that you are emailing these pictures to Ray DeCarlo , the Zoning Officer!

jay

This photo is Mary's nominee.

john r. swierz

I would say that this is located on #442

jay

Here's one on the east side.

Mary_Krupa

The newest one I saw was on Midlothian at Southern Boulevard across from Pleasant Grove Church. Very ugly.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

john r. swierz

I am honored , but I think I'll pass!

Towntalk

Great idea Rusty, heaven knows that there are plenty of buildings that should have a spotlight shined on them such as the convience stores like the one that Jay posted.

rusty river

Jay, you seem to be compiling quite an inventory here.

Idea:

This forum should organize some sort of Assessment of Commercial Exteriors (ACE).
A couple weekends would be spent walking the city's commercial and business districts. A survey would be conducted of every building's exterior appearance, with a grading system of A, C, or F. An "A" grade would be a well maintained and inviting outside appearance. The pictures you posted would probably be examples of businesses deserving an "F". A "C" would be something in the middle: not deplorable, but not pristine. We'd visit a site, take pictures, jot down some notes, and maybe even interview the business owner or manager about the exterior of their building.

All data would be compiled and put into some type of report or presentation. This can then be sent to city officials and the media.

The point would be to place public pressure on "problem" businesses, garner some positive attention for businesses that take care of their property, and work with the city in identifying what needs to be addressed and improved upon.

Sean T. McKinney (Building and Grounds Commissioner) is who we would want to give this information to, as his department is the one that deals with structural code violations.
Ray DeCarlo deals with zoning and property uses only.

Mr. Swierz, since you mentioned something similar, I nominate you for ACE Chief Organizer.  :)