News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

400 Fewer Students - Costs Rise - Revenues Decline

Started by jay, December 28, 2008, 07:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary

No actually it is a primary school. They actively recruited voucher students.

ytowner

Quote from: Mary on December 29, 2008, 08:53:31 PM
I know one catholic school picked up about 30 kids this year from vouchers.
Is it Ursuline?

Judging by the size of the Freshmen class to last year's graduating Senior Class, my guess is it is Ursuline. Their Freshmen class has around 140 kids or so, with the c/o 2008 around 105.

AllanY2525

I wonder if any of the decline in enrollment is due to kids dropping out early to
take a job(?)

As long as Youngstown has enough students to fill even one school building, I suspect
that the school system will stay afloat, although I can't imagine what the quality of
education will be like if the state keeps cutting back on funding.

Mary

I know one catholic school picked up about 30 kids this year from vouchers.

jay

Not that many have gone to the only remaining catholic school in the city.  I believe it's a combination of people moving away, charter schools, and open enrollment with other school systems.  I just don't see an end for the decline in enrollment for the city schools.

I wonder if it is possible for a school system to go out of business.

ytowner

jay

A recent newspaper article stated that the Youngstown School District had 400 fewer students this year.  A 9.5 mill levy was passed this fall.  The State of Ohio is cutting its contribution to the system by as much as $800 per student for the next school year.

Question
What should the Youngstown School District do next?