News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Mass Rail Transit Instead of Another 4 Lane Highway?

Started by irishbobcat, November 06, 2008, 07:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

Not a bad idea, but I have given up on anything from Congressman Ryans office.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

I don't think that there is anyone here who DOESN'T agree that we need high speed rail service throughout Ohio. That is a given. The question is, where would the money come from?

We as a country are as near to depression as we can get, and we're being told that our two major auto companies are near bankruptcy, 1100 employees at Lordstown will be laid off alone, and the national unemployment figures hover around 7%.

Building a high speed rail system can in the short run open up jobs, but where will the money come from?

1. The trackage will come from China.
2. The High Speed trains will come from overseas since we don't build them here that I know of.

If we have to import everything, the idea of job creation at this level is off the table.

When the 111th Congress comes into session in January, hope that Congressman Ryan is assigned to the Appropriations Committee as this would be a project that he could work on.

Towntalk

1. The idea of a high speed passanger rail system is not new, and in point of fact dates back to the 1980's when a commission was created by the then governor to study the idea.

2. The plan called for a mainline running north from Cleveland to Columbus, and a second mainline running east to west, with secondary trackage stemming out of the two mainlines.

3. You may be able to find a copy of the final report of the commission at the main branch of the library which is a repository for state and federal documents.

4. As I recall, all new trackage would have to be laid to handle modern high speed trains, and since there are two trackage rights-of-way as Rick pointed out, it would just be a matter of laying high speed tracks on the existing rights-of-way following the plans set up by the commission.

5. If I'm not mistaken, former Senator Harry Meshel was a strong advocate of the idea, and could better describe the plan.

jay

Would the Greens be willing to help us revive passenger train service in Youngstown?

irishbobcat

Mass Rail Transit Instead of Another 4 Lane Highway?

November 6, 2008

During my recent run for Congress there was talk about building another super highway between Columbus and Pittsburgh. Would there not be more benefits to building a mass rail transit system instead?

1.   Less use of land space.
2.   Cost of a mass rail transit system would cost ΒΌ of what it would be to build another 4-lane highway.
3.   Faster travel.
4.   Less maintenance costs (no orange barrels out every 6 months)
5.   Less cars on the road. Less pollution in the air.

California voters are climbing on board a plan to start construction of the nation's first high-speed rail system. The bond measure will approve the sale of nearly $10 billion in bonds as a down payment on an 800-mile high-speed rail network that would send electric trains zipping between Northern and Southern California at up to 220 mph. Supporters, including transportation, environmental and business groups and the heavy-construction industry, said high-speed rail would offer a fast, greener and less-costly way to travel up and down the state." Prop 1A: High-speed rail -- Yes 52.3%  No 47.7% [95% of vote reported by the LATimes.]

Thinking Green,

Dennis Spisak

http://www.votespisak.org/thinkgreen/